Slow cooker chicken taco burrito bowls are a fuss-free, minimal prep & ingredients, and a family favorite dinner recipe. Cheesy chicken taco meat is made in the slow cooker! Create your very own burrito bowl, at a fraction of the cost of take-out, right at home. Cheesy chicken taco meat served over cilantro lime rice and topped with avocado, sour cream, green onions, and whatever else you want.
The most popular “toy” in the house is my iPhone. I don’t know what it is about it, actually I do, it’s the Netflix App that’s on it. But my kids are drawn to my phone. If I can’t find my phone then chances are one of them has it and they’re watching Netflix on it.
The other day I found them all downstairs curled up in blankets on the couch watching Netflix on my phone. It was kind of cute, I’ll admit. This really has nothing to do with today’s recipe besides the fact that somehow (I blame my mischievous 3 year old blondie) they deleted pictures off of my phone during one of their “Barbie-movies-binge-watching-sessions” on Netflix.
I take all the blog photos you see on this site with my iPhone so you can imagine what would happen when pictures are deleted…… you, my amazing readers, end up with 4 pictures of basically the same shot, haha 🙂 So sorry! Hopefully they convince you that you must make these slow cooker chicken taco burrito bowls because they are insanely delicious and incredibly easy too.
These burrito bowls remind me of Chipotles burrito bowls but at a fraction of the cost. When my family goes to Chipotle we seriously end up spending at least $50! It’s crazy. Between the drinks, meals, chips & salsa, and their new queso (do you love it or hate it?), it adds up pretty quick.
That’s why I love these chicken taco burrito bowls. They are inexpensive to make and all you need are some pantry staple ingredients that you probably already have. This recipe probably costs as much as one burrito bowl at the restaurant. But with this recipe you get enough for at least 6-8 burrito bowls! Nice huh?!
Dump a few ingredients along with some chicken breasts into a slow cooker and let that cook all day. The meat will literally fall apart at the touch of a fork when you shred it. Sprinkle some cheese on top of the shredded chicken mixture in the slow cooker and cover with the lid and let the cheese melt. Serve with some cilantro lime rice, or rice of your choice, and all your favorite taco toppings.
This is also a great weeknight dinner because you can leave it on the ‘warm’ setting in the slow cooker and people can get theirs whenever they’re home. If you are feeding a smaller family you will have lots of leftovers which will basically provide a second meal. Use the leftovers for quesadillas, burrito filling, nachos, or tacos.
Here’s a pretty picture so you can PIN this recipe to PINTEREST to save for later. Thank You ♥
Serves 8 burrito bowls
Slow cooker chicken taco burrito bowls are a fuss-free, minimal prep & ingredients, and a family favorite dinner recipe. Cheesy chicken taco meat is made in the slow cooker! Create your very own burrito bowl, at a fraction of the cost of take-out, right at home.
10 minPrep Time
7 hrCook Time
7 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa, or 2 cups
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese, any variety
- 1 recipe cilantro lime rice OR rice of your choice
- taco toppings (shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, avocado, olives, green onions, etc)
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Lay chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle the spices over the chicken and rub them in. Be sure and wash your hands after 🙂
- Add the salsa, black beans, and frozen corn. Give it a stir to combine everything. Cover and let cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.
- Once cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken in the slow cooker. Give it a stir to combine everything.
- Sprinkle cheese over chicken mixture. Cover with lid and let the cheese melt (about 5 minutes).
- Serve over rice and top with your favorite taco toppings. Serve with a slotted spoon so you don't get the liquid at the bottom of the slow cooker (which is normal, produced during slow cooking).
I use Colby-jack cheese but feel free to use whatever you prefer; cheddar, Monterey jack, pepperjack, etc.
Make sure that you use a salsa that you LOVE. The flavor really shines through so make it a good one!
If your chicken breasts are small then use 4 of them.