You won’t even miss the deep fried version when you try these baked jalapeno poppers. Spicy, flavorful jalapeno peppers stuffed with a creamy cheese filling & spices and then dipped in bread crumbs. The peppers bake up soft with a crunchy topping!
Are you going to be watching the Super Bowl this weekend? We will. I honestly don’t care who wins, I just love watching football and plus, it gives me an excuse to make all sorts of fun finger foods, treats, football shaped everything, and appetizers 🙂
I hope I am not too late posting this recipe. You may want to rearrange your game day food plans and add these delicious little things.
One of my guilty pleasures are the jalapeno poppers from Arby’s. I know. I know. So not good for you, but they are seriously yummy! The heat combined with the creaminess is one of the best combinations.
You only need a few ingredients to create these “better for you” jalapeno poppers. Not that I am opposed to anything deep fried, but just sometimes it’s nice to make a somewhat “healthier” version of a classic.
Obviously these are spicy, but honestly they are not over-the-top-drown-myself-with-milk spicy. The spiciest part of a jalapeno are the seeds and that white skin inside the pepper. You’ll cut the pepper vertically so that you are left with two long pieces from one pepper. You can see that in the picture above. Remove everything on the inside and then stuff with a creamy, cheesy, oh and did I mention bacon, filling!
I was surprised by how crispy the bread crumb topping actually got. If you want it extra crispy go ahead and put them under the broiler for a minute or two. And, if you like things extra spicy, use some pepper jack cheese.
Give these a try! If you like a bit of spice that is 🙂 Enjoy the game!
Try and find the large jalapeno peppers. If you use smaller sized peppers you may need more than the 8-10 large called for in the recipe.
To help make the mixing easier, place the cream cheese brick in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften it up.
- 8-10 large jalapeno poppers,
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cheese, bacon, salt, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix until well combined.
- Fill eachjalapeno half with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. You may need more or less depending on how big or small the peppers are.
- Dip the pepper (cheese side down) into the bowl of bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
linking up at the ‘Weekend Potluck’