A twist to the classic cabbage soup recipe. Vegetable tomato base loaded with lean ground beef, frozen vegetables, shredded cabbage, and seasonings! This is a cabbage soup that is actually delicious!
You're all probably aware of the traditional cabbage soup. You know the one that has no flavor and big pieces of raw cabbage in it. Well, this cabbage soup recipe today is a bit different because it's actually edible, haha 🙂
This is not a diet post or a "eat this and you'll lose weight" post. It's simply a delicious soup that happens to be healthy and nutritious and it's an easy way to keep to healthy eating at the start of the new year.
The base is V8 juice and stewed tomatoes. It's so flavorful and has loads of veggie servings in it.
Add in some seasoned lean ground beef and onion, frozen corn, frozen green beans, shredded cabbage, seasonings, and then let it cook.
You'll end up with this rich, hearty, super flavorful cabbage soup and one serving fills you up so it's a very filling soup.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR CABBAGE SOUP
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- V8 juice
- canned stewed tomatoes
- shredded cabbage
- frozen green beans
- frozen corn
- Worcestershire sauce
- dried basil
- salt & pepper
Brown the ground beef with the finely diced onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook and crumble until no longer pink. Add in the garlic cloves and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
Add the cooked beef into the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir everything together. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 5-7 hours.
TIPS FOR MAKING HAMBURGER CABBAGE SOUP
- I love the flavor of stewed tomatoes but hate the big chunks of tomato in soup. I add the can of stewed tomatoes along with the V8 juice into a blender and blend everything together. That way you get all the flavor with none of the big chunks of tomato.
- I have never tried using the reduced-sodium V8 juice. It would be a fine substitution but may change the flavor slightly.
- I always buy the bag of pre-shredded cabbage at the grocery store. You can find this by the other bagged salad mixes in the produce section.
- Worcestershire sauce can be tricky. I have found that we love 1 tablespoon of it in this soup. If you love it then go ahead and add 2 tablespoons. Even if you are sensitive to the Worcestershire taste, the 1 tablespoon is not too much but if you are worried then reduce it to 2 teaspoons.
- My soup was actually done at about 5 hours so I kept it on the warm setting until we were ready to eat and it works perfectly.
Try these other delicious soup recipes
Hamburger Cabbage Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (minced, pressed, or use garlic paste)
- 4 cups V8 Juice
- 1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saute pan, brown and cumble gound beef, onion, and salt over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Drain.
- Spray insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add cooked ground beef mixture to the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 5-7 hours.
- This also stays really well on the 'warm' function if you're not home yet or eating later.
- *** I always add the V8 juice + stewed tomatoes into a blender and blend until smooth, then add into the slow cooker. This way you get the flavor from the stewed tomatoes but not the big chunks. Or just add the tomatoes into the slow cooker and skip the blender. Works well either way.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST