Carrot + banana comes together to form a lightly sweet, ultra tender & moist, and full of flavor quick bread! Drizzle with an easy cream cheese glaze and you will wonder why you’ve never combined those flavors together before now! Carrot banana bread is a great way to use up brown bananas or leftover carrots.
With Easter just around the corner I’ve got all things carrot on the brain. I don’t normally crave carrot stuff; carrot bread, carrot cake, or I’ve had my eye on these carrot cheesecake crumble bars lately. But, seeing as carrots are basically the national food for Easter, it’s no wonder I always crave them this time of year.
I always seem to have some brown bananas lying around the kitchen and this carrot banana bread is the best way to use up those bananas. It’s moist, covered in the best cream cheese drizzle, and you get a nice serving of fruit and vegetable 🙂
You may not have ever thought of the carrot + banana combo as like ‘the must-have’ dessert combo, but I’m telling you that I think it deserves some special recognition. The flavors remind me of pumpkin bread but in a lighter, spring version.
The warm spices of cinnamon and nutmeg really give so much flavor to this bread. Oh, and that cream cheese glaze……ummm, you should just add that. I mean, why not, right? It’s really yummy and when combined with the bread it tastes exactly like carrot cake!
If you choose not to use the cream cheese glaze…. I guess we could still be friends. It will still be so delicious and save a little bit of calories. I lined my mini loaf pans with parchment paper to make it easier to pull the loaves out. You don’t have to do that, I just think it’s easier. But be sure you spray the loaf pan if not using parchment paper. You don’t want the bread sticking to the loaf pan!
Carrot & banana comes together to form a lightly sweet, ultra tender & moist, and full of flavor quick bread! Drizzle with an easy cream cheese glaze and you will wonder why you've never combined those flavors together before now! Carrot banana bread is a great way to use up brown bananas or leftover carrots.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (canola, vegetable, melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 oz (from an 8 oz block) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (more or less depending on consistency you want)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5-inch loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir together with a whisk.
- In a small mixing bowl or large glass measuring cup combine mashed banana, brown sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient mixing bowl. Add the shredded carrots and gently mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula just until combined and no flour pockets remain.
- Pour into your prepared pans. Either into the 9x5-inch loaf pan or divide the batter evenly among the 4 mini loaf pans.
- Bake the mini loaf pans for 25-30 minutes. Bake the larger loaf pan for 50-60 minutes. The top of the bread loaf should be peaked and a toothpick inserted should come out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- If wanted drizzle the cream cheese glaze over the bread.
- To make cream cheese glaze: With a hand mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese together. Add in the powdered sugar and the milk and blend until creamy. You may need more or less milk depending on the consistency you want.
‘PIN’ this image to Pinterest to share & save the recipe ♥ ♥ ♥