CHEESY CHICKEN AND RICE SKILLET
Anytime I can make a complete dinner in just one pot (or skillet) then life is good. Which is why I love today’s recipe for cheesy chicken and rice with broccoli because it’s made in just one skillet pan and it’s something my kids eat without complaining about.
Somehow I was blessed with a 3 year old, our youngest, who LOVES broccoli. And I mean loves it! He takes a tree of broccoli and just eats it like an apple. Anytime I make dinner with broccoli in it, he is a happy boy.
HOW TO MAKE ONE SKILLET CHEESY CHICKEN AND RICE
- Cut two boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small bite-sized pieces. About 1/2-inch pieces. It does not have to be exact, you just want small pieces so it does not take forever to cook. Cook the chicken with some olive oil in a skillet pan. Add seasonings of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Add rice, garlic, and chopped carrots. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low (a simmer) and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the lid off and stir, add the chopped broccoli and stir again. Cover with lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and sprinkle cheese on top. Let it melt for 1-2 minutes and serve.
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- You might find that you want more salt in this recipe. If you do, go ahead and add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt in with the chicken broth. We love it as is, but as always, add more or less salt and seasonings depending on your flavor preference.
- If you want the broccoli soft then add it in with the chicken broth. If you do this, you can skip the step of stirring and adding the broccoli in halfway through the cook time.
- I have never made this recipe with brown rice and would highly recommend using long-grain white rice which is what the recipe calls for. Brown rice takes much more time to cook and it needs more liquid.
- Use any cheese you want! We love Colby-Jack cheese but if you want some spice then Pepper Jack is a great option, or just plain cheddar cheese.
- Cut the broccoli into very small pieces as well as the carrots. I always use baby carrots because they are already small and peeled, so all you have to do is slice them thinly.
TRY THESE OTHER SKILLET DINNER RECIPES
- skillet cowboy rice casserole
- skillet cashew chicken
- beef taco pasta skillet
- one pot cheesy chicken broccoli and rice
- chicken stir-fry recipe
Cheesy Chicken Rice Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 - 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked, dry)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed (I use garlic paste)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups small chopped broccoli (fresh not frozen)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (or more to taste)
- Cut chicken into small bite-sized pieces (about 1/2-inch, not bigger than 1-inch sized pieces).
- Add olive oil, chicken chunks, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper into the skillet pan. Cook, while stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat until chicken is mostly cooked through and browned on the outside.
- Add dry rice, sliced carrots, and garlic into the skillet. Stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth into the pan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pan with a lid, and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take the lid off and stir everything together. Add the chopped broccoli and stir again. Cover with the lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and sprinkle the cheese on top. Let it sit and melt for 1-2 minutes. Serve!