Seasoned beef covered in a biscuit like topping. Tastes like a taco, but in biscuit pie form. Garnish this cheesy taco pie with your favorite taco toppings and you have a fun twist for taco night!
Hope you all had a fun and sugar-filled Halloween. We are deep in the “candy wars” here at my house. My kids want candy for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, more snack, and then dinner, and snack before bedtime —-> this is the reason I hate Halloween.
I have gathered up all the candy and put it up high on top of the kitchen cabinets. Only my husband can reach it (he’s really tall 😉 ) so that way I can just tell the kids “oh no, I can’t reach it…..ooops! As a bonus, I won’t be tempted to eat any either because I am so short I could not even reach it on a chair. It works.
I usually try to let them pick out a few candies and put them in a bag and that is the candy they get for the day.
Anyways, on to something more exciting like Cheesy Taco Pie! This is like a 20 minute meal + cooking time. It’s so easy to make! Cook some ground beef and mix in taco seasoning and tomato sauce, then stir together a biscuit topping and you’re done! Comes together quickly and it’s a dinner that everyone will love.
This is a very versatile recipe. If you like more of a spicy kick add a can of chopped green chilies or you can add beans to the meat mixture. Don’t get too crazy because it all has to fit in a 9″ pie plate.
- 1 lb ground beef (or 1.25 lbs ground turkey)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pkg (1 oz) taco seasoning
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup baking mix (like Krusteaz or Jiffy)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided
- taco toppings: diced tomato, lettuce, avocado, olives, green onions, sour cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray.
- Cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Mix together. Let simmer on low while you prepare the biscuit topping.
- In medium bowl, combine baking mix, milk, eggs, and stir together with a wire whisk or a fork.
- Dump meat into the pie plate, sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over, and then pour the biscuit mix on top of everything.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Take out and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes so the cheese can melt. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
recipe adapted from here