This classic, creamy, and easy to make chicken salad recipe is a go to for hot summer days. Chunks of chicken, cashews, red grapes, parmesan cheese, green onions in an easy homemade buttermilk ranch dressing. Serve with croissants or rolls for an oven-free dinner.
One thing that you should know about me is that my love for chicken salad runs deep. It’s one of my favorite dinners and more so during the hot summer days. I just love the creamy dressing, chunks of chicken, and all the fun mix-ins and varieties you can make with chicken salad.
And lets be honest summer schedules are all over the place, my kids literally snack all. day. long, and it seems like we are always getting home late from some activity and the last thing I want to do is make diner.
Which is the reason I love chicken salad recipes. I can make them that morning then let it refrigerate all day. By the time we’re home we have dinner waiting for us.
My trick to making chicken salads is to buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco or Sam’s Club (they are bigger than the grocery store ones). Bring it home, shred or chunk the meat up and make chicken salad for that nights dinner.
Today’s newest chicken salad addition is a parmesan chicken salad. The base is chunks of chicken, red grapes, cashews, green onion and then it’s covered in an easy, homemade buttermilk ranch dressing.
It really is so good, full of flavor and texture, and goes perfect with a croissant roll. But you really can serve it with anything. Rolls, hamburger buns, between two pieces of bread, whatever your favorite bread is then use it.
I prefer this chicken salad cold so I always let it refrigerate for a few hours. But I have also served it right after making it and it was still delicious. So whatever you have time for, it will work either way.
Try these other chicken salad recipes
- pineapple chicken salad sandwiches
- cashew chicken salad wraps
- dill pickle chicken salad
- hot chicken salad hoagie sandwiches
Parmesan Chicken Salad
parmesan chicken salad
- 2 cups shredded or chunked chicken
- 1 cup halved seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup cashews (salted or lightly salted)
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
homemade buttermilk ranch
- 1/2 cup full-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For the chicken salad combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- In a seperate smaller bowl, combine all the buttermilk ranch ingredients and stir together with a whisk until creamy and combined well.
- Pour the ranch dressing over the chicken salad and mix well to combine.
- Serve right away or let it refrigerate for a few hours before serving (I prefer this refrigerated). Serve with croissants, rolls, or bread slices.
Share this recipe and PIN IT to PINTEREST