Chicken kabobs are a summertime grilling staple. Try these chicken zucchini kabobs for a healthy & delicious new way to enjoy chicken kabobs. Chicken chunks soak in a lemon-lime soda marinade and then get added to kabobs with zucchini and red onion. So simple and easy to make, perfect for a quick dinner!
post updated and republished
One of our favorite things to do in the spring/summer is fire up the grill! I really don't think there are many things that are better than a smoky, charred piece of chicken that has been marinating for 12+ hours. Right?!
The only thing that would make it better is if we could actually sit outside on the deck and eat them. I mean, we could, but I would probably just complain the entire time of the humidity (we're in Maryland), and the nats (Maryland again....), and the loud bugs (yes, Maryland outdoors are the best....) 🙂
I know you will love these chicken kabobs with zucchini and red onion. So much flavor, super tender chicken, and really easy to make.
Let the chicken chunks soak in a lemon-lime soda marinade. Thread them onto wooden skewers or metal skewers with some red onion and zucching. Grill them for a few minutes, long enough for the chicken to cook through, and then enjoy.
I also love these chicken kabobs because it's a good way to use up all that zucchini garden harvest. Not that I have a garden but if you have more of a green thumb than I, then these will be perfect.
We have lots of favorite recipes that we just have to make each year. These kabobs made it to the top of that list really fast. We also love these zucchini chocolate chip muffins. I make them year round because my kids love them so much.
Remember to plan ahead. The chicken pieces NEED to marinate for at least 8-12 hours. I usually cut up the chicken and make the marinade the night before I need them and let them sit in the fridge until the next day at dinnertime.
Chicken Zucchini Kabobs
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3-4 breasts)
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda (like Sprite, 7-Up, etc)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (regular or reduced-sodium)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 zucchini, cut into large 1" chunks (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 red onion, cut into large 1" chunks
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Marinate the chicken : Cut chicken breasts into large 1" chunks and place into a Ziploc sized bag. Add the lemon-lime soda, soy sauce, and canola oil. Secure the bag and turn to coat the chicken. Let refrigerate and marinate for at least 8 hours. Preferably overnight.
- Before grilling, combine the zucchini and red onion chunks with the oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Alternately thread the chicken, zucchini, and red onion onto wooden or metal skewers. *If using wooden skewers you need to soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to adding the food and grilling them. This helps prevent them from burning.
- Spray grill rack with cooking spray or rub with oil. Grill the kabobs for several minutes on each side, or until cooked through (temperature of 165). Serve straight off the grill.