CHRISTMAS GINGERDOODLE COOKIES
If you're looking for gingersnap cookies that are not crispy and don't have that overwhelming gingerbread flavor, then you will definitely want to make these Christmas gingerdoodle cookies. Gingerdoodles are a mix between gingerbread/gingersnap and a snickerdoodle cookie.
These gingerdoodle cookies are so soft-baked and have just a hint of molasses and spice. Combined with the white chocolate drizzle and the crunchy sweet sugar on the outside and even kids will love these.
If you want more really festive Christmas treats then you will love these Santa's cookie bars. We make these every year for Santa!
HOW TO MAKE GINGERDOODLE COOKIES
Butter - I use salted butter but you can use unsalted butter if that's what you're used to baking with.
Molasses - I've seen this in one of two places in the store. Either in the baking aisle or near the pancake syrup/maple syrup aisle.
Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Salt - This is the gingerbread 'spice' for the cookies. It's not too much and not too overpowering which is important (to me anyway!) in a gingerdoodle cookie.
Canola Oil & White Chocolate Chips - For the drizzle on top.
Christmas Sprinkles - Don't skip these. It makes the cookies so festive.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING GINGERDOODLE COOKIES
- Be sure you roll the dough into balls. These cookies will flatten slightly as they cool so you want them to stay pretty puffy in the oven.
- Use good quality white chocolate chips. They melt smoother and have a richer flavor to them. I love the Ghiradelli or Guittard brand.
- Use a fork to drizzle the white chocolate over tops of the cookies. It does not have to be perfect so just use whatever you have. If you want it perfect then put the drizzle into a piping bag with a small tip and drizzle it that way.
TRY THESE OTHER CHRISTMAS TREATS
Peppermint Cheesecake Cookies - Soft, pillowy cheesecake cookies with lots of peppermint flavor.
Peppermint Bark Pretzel Bites - So easy to make! Pretzels with a melted peppermint crunch Hershey Kiss and then topped with peppermint m&m's and Christmas sprinkles.
Andes Mint Cookie Brownies - The best brownies filled with mint chocolate cookies and topped with Andes Mint chocolates. It makes the perfect frosting and it's so easy.
Christmas Goody Bars - An oatmeal cookie base and crumble topping filled with a fudge center. Top it off with festive Christmas mini m&m's for the best treat.
No Flour Christmas Cookie Bars - Made in a cookie sheet with no flour. Filled with oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and Christmas m&m's.
Christmas Gingerdoodle Cookies
- 12 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for rolling the cookies in
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- Christmas sprinkles
- Heat oven to 350°. Prepare a cookie sheet by spraying with cooking spray, silpat liner, or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl with a handheld mixer, or use the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and 1 cup granulated sugar.
- Add in the egg and molasses. Blend together until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Blend together on low speed just until incorporated.
- Pour the ¼ cup granulated sugar into a bowl or small plate. Take 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Roll the ball in the granulated sugar until it's completely covered. Place 12 per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. * I bake mine for the minimum time because they will continue to bake as they cool.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 30 minutes. Drizzle with melted white chocolate and immediatley sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles over top.
- Move the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely and to let the chocolate harden.
- To make the white chocolate drizzle : Place the white chocolate chips plus oil in a microwave-safe bowl (I use a glass measurer). Set the timer for 90 seconds and stir it every 30 seconds until it's completely melted and smooth.