Traditional creamy tomato soup loaded with vegetables and lots of parmesan cheese! A bowl of this comforting soup will warm you right up. Take it to the next level and dip some bread sticks in it. Yum!
I'm hoping it's not too late for one last soup recipe. We've had a heat wave here in Maryland this last week. Temperatures were in the high 80's! In March! I know a lot of people get excited about summer, but I am so not one of those people. Summer time and heat just mean bugs, bugs, and more bugs here in Maryland. They've been coming around the last few days as the temperatures get warmer. Ugh!
Regardless of the temperature I still make soup 🙂 Does anyone else do that too? This creamy parmesan tomato soup is one of our favorites. It cooks in the slow cooker and uses canned diced tomatoes so it couldn't be easier to make. The hardest part is making a roux (flour + butter + milk) and then you pour it into the crock pot and dinner is ready.
Dip some bread sticks into this or make these CHEESY BOMBS ---> just do it. I promise they'll probably be one of the best things you'll ever make 🙂 I halved the recipe. So I only used 1 can of biscuit dough. I also used dried parsley instead of fresh. Hope you enjoy!
It's best to use freshly grated parmesan cheese. The kind where you shred it yourself from the wedge. The canned stuff does not taste nearly as good.
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 can (28 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth (or 4 cups water + bouillon)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half-n-half milk, warmed (heat up in microwave for 1-2 minutes)
- Place diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, oregano, and basil in the slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth over it and stir together. Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- ** If you prefer a creamy soup (like I do) use an immersion blender and blend the soup in the slow cooker. Or, blend it in batches in the blender (be sure to vent the blender lid so it does not explode with the heat). **
- 30 minutes before serving prepare the roux. Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Once melted add the flour, salt, pepper and stir constantly for 1 minute (to cook out the flour flavor). Slowly stir in 3 cups of the hot soup from the slow cooker, 1 cup at a time. Stir constantly until it is combined together, thick, and creamy (this will happen almost immediately).
- Add it back into the slow cooker. Stir. Add the Parmesan cheese and warmed half and half. Add additional basil, oregano, and/or salt to desired taste (if needed).
Try out these other delicious dinner ideas!