No canned cream of soups here! Just a simple, homemade cream sauce that makes the most delicious enchiladas that taste like they came straight from a great restaurant! If you are a fan of white enchiladas then you have to try these! They are a family favorite!
I’ve never much cared for canned enchilada sauce so when I saw these chicken enchiladas with a homemade creamy sauce at Joyful Momma’s Kitchen, I knew I had to make them. I’ve been making these enchiladas for years now. We love them and it really is the only way I will make enchiladas.
Shredded chicken + shredded cheese get rolled up inside a tortilla and then you make a really simple, 5 ingredient cream sauce to pour over the top! Bake away and then broil them to get the tops all nice and toasty brown. Seriously, YUM! I always serve these with my Mexican rice, shredded lettuce and diced tomato. They’re so creamy that you don’t even need to top with extra sour cream.
A few tips:
- Shred your own cheese. It makes such a huge difference. It melts smoother and has better flavor
- The canned green chilies do not make these hot and spicy. They just add lots of great flavor. If you’re worried, just don’t add the entire can. Do not skip them entirely.
- After they have cooked put them under a broiler for 3 minutes or so. The tops will turn a nice toasty brown and it adds a nice flavor. The enchiladas in the picture above were not put under the broil…. I normally do but completely forgot that step the night I made these. My daughter had dance so I was in a hurry 🙂
- Use a rotisserie chicken to make it really easy. Bake chicken breasts in the oven in a little bit of water and then shred them or cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker with some chicken broth and then shred. I did this tutorial about how to get ‘perfect shredded chicken‘.
- 10 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix shredded chicken and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Place about 1/4 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll up. Place tortillas seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with all tortillas.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add in flour, and cook for 1 minute while stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and whisk until smooth and combined. Cook until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. Usually 5 minutes or so. Stir frequently.
- Once thickened, stir in the sour cream and green chilies. Mix together and take off heat.
- Pour over the enchiladas and spread the sauce evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Cook for 25 minutes. If wanted, place under a high broiler for 3-4 minutes to brown the top.