You’ll never think of canned tuna the same after you try these fruity tunawiches. Tuna + sandwich = tunawiches! Full of fruity flavor thanks to the crushed pineapple & chopped apple. Makes for a yummy lunch or even a no-oven dinner as well.
I always think of my brother when I eat canned tuna. I remember him coming home after school or church and eating tuna straight from the can. The house smelled so bad and I just thought it was so gross. Now, that was literally decades ago. He’s turning 30 in a few weeks and I am just a few year older than him. But, no matter how long ago, I always think of him when I eat tuna 🙂
I like tuna but only if it’s mixed with other stuff. Like these fruity tunawiches! Albacore tuna, crushed pineapple, chunked apple, almonds, and some cheese. The ingredients may sound strange together but I promise it’s so good.
I was recently cleaning out my “pantry” aka my ‘little-corner-of-the-laundry-room-where-I-keep-extra-food’ 🙂 and I found two Costco sized packages of canned tuna! I knew I had to come up with something to use it all up with. I love making these fruity tunawiches for lunch and then using the leftovers for another lunch the next day. Or they also make a great weeknight dinner when things are busy. And you won’t even have to use the oven!
Serve on some whole wheat bread (I like to toast mine first) & add some green lettuce and then pile on the tuna mixture!
- 1 can (6 oz) white albacore tuna, packed in water
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons lite mayonnaise, or more to taste
- pinch of salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Make a sandwich using green leaf lettuce or eat as lettuce wraps.
- Will keep well in fridge (apples won't brown) for 3 days.
♥ ‘PIN’ this image to Pinterest ♥