Golden brown, slightly crispy chicken taquitos that are baked to perfection. No deep frying! They are sweet with a slight flavor kick from the creamy salsa verde & cilantro dipping sauce. So delicious and fun for the kids because they can eat with their hands and dip their food!
One of my absolute favorites moments is when we are all sitting at the table, together as family, eating dinner. That is one thing I love about cooking and baking, it brings people together, it brings families together. For a couple of years my husband had a 2+ hour commute, one-way, and we never got the chance to sit and eat dinner together during the week. I really missed that family time. I can happily say that he no longer has that commute, it’s only 30 minutes now 🙂 so we get to eat together. Most of the time my kids are fighting, someone is whining about “yucky food”, the baby is yelling for more food, drinks get knocked over, someone has to go to time-out….. you know, fun stuff like that.
We love Mexican food at our house, well except for my little boy who hates beans & rice, weird I know, but other than that we cannot get enough of it. These taquitos were by far one of our favorites. I have made baked chicken taquitos before and they are always a hit, especially when you put some type of creamy sauce to dunk them in, my kids go crazy for stuff like that. The taquitos get golden brown and slightly crispy in the oven, they are sweet with a little flavor kick thanks to the chili powder & the creamy cilantro dipping sauce. They are absolutely delicious and you should definitely put these on your menu plan in the near future. I served these with a side of rice & beans, the best and easiest side for any Mexican dish. That recipe will be coming up tomorrow 🙂
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 15-20 small flour tortillas
- creamy dipping sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 c salsa verde
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/2 of a lime (1-2 teaspoons)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with tin foil, spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Put cream cheese in a large bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to soften. Mix in the honey, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt.
- Mix in the chicken, cheese, and cilantro.
- Warm up tortillas to get them soft (they will be easier to work with). Place 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down on the cookie sheet. Repeat until chicken is gone.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos lightly with cooking spray (this gets them golden brown and crispy). If desired, take a pinch of kosher salt and sprinkle over the taquitos.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- For the sauce:
- Put all ingredients in a blender (I use magic bullet) and blend until mixed together and creamy.
I use the Herdez brand salsa verde. It comes in a small can. If you cannot find it, a green taco sauce should work.
Tip for the shredded chicken: for 3 cups of shredded chicken, I put 2 large (or 3 smaller ones) boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot with some chicken broth, cook it all afternoon, and when it is time to make these taquitos I pull it out, shred it and add it in the bowl. Super easy and the chicken is so tender and shreds perfectly.
This recipe makes quite a bit, but they keep really well in the fridge and make for the perfect leftovers for lunch the next day 🙂
recipe adapted from here
Linked up at Mandy’s Recipe Box’s “Totally Talented Tuesdays”
Linked up at Love Bakes Good Cakes “Freedom Fridays”