The best Key Lime Pie with a homemade graham cracker crust, an easy 4 ingredient creamy, a smooth and creamy key lime filling and then it's topped with freshly whipped cream. My favorite pie recipe for summertime!
KEY LIME PIE RECIPE
This key lime pie is my favorite summertime pie recipe. The buttery sweet graham cracker crust filled with the creamiest key lime filling. And be sure to try my no bake key lime pie if you want an even easier recipe that needs absolutely no baking! And if you love cheesecake then try my key lime cheesecake.
Easy simple ingredients are all you need to make this key lime pie recipe.
- sweetened condensed milk
- sour cream
- key lime juice
- fresh lime zest
The crust is a simple 3 ingredient graham cracker crust.
- graham cracker crumbs
- granulated sugar
- melted butter
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE KEY LIME PIE
- Graham Cracker Crumbs - You can either crush your own graham crackers in a food processor or buy a box of graham cracker crumbs. I opt for the easier, and less dishes, route of buying a box of graham cracker crumbs.
- Granulated Sugar - To sweeten the graham cracker crust
- Melted Butter
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Key Lime Juice - For best taste use key lime juice and not lime juice. There is a difference and the pie will taste best with key lime juice. You can find it in the juice aisle at the grocery store by the bottled lemon and lime juice, and other juices.
- Sour Cream - Cuts the sweetness a bit and adds this rich and velvety texture to the key lime pie filling.
- Fresh Lime Zest
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar - This is to sweeten the freshly whipped cream.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Can I use regular lime juice in this recipe?
I recommend using key lime juice in this recipe. It tastes slightly different than regular juice from a lime, it has almost a sweeter taste to it, not as tart. But if it's just not possible to get the key lime juice then fresh lime juice will work if needed. I would definitely use fresh lime juice and not the lime juice from the bottle. But again, I recommend using key lime juice in this key lime pie.
Can I make key lime pie the day before?
- Yes! I actually prefer to make this pie the day before I need it and let it refrigerate overnight. The flavor is much more developed and the pie gets this irresistible silky smooth texture as it sits in the fridge. If you don't have enough time to refrigerate overnight, don't worry, because this key lime pie is just fine to serve with at least 6 hours of refrigeration time.
How should I store the leftovers?
- I just keep the leftovers in the pie plate and cover it with plastic wrap. You can also save individual slices in a Tupperware type container. This key lime pie keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days. Any more time in the fridge and the graham cracker crust tends to get softer and almost soggy-like. But it's still delicious!
Can I use store-bought whipped cream instead of making my own?
- Yes of course you can! I happen to think homemade whipped cream is just the best thing on earth but we don't always have time to sit there and beat it for 5 minutes. Simply buy a can of whipped cream and use that instead. It will still be delicious!
TRY THESE OTHER SUMMERTIME RECIPES
No Bake Lemon Pudding Pie - An easy lemon pie made with lemon instant pudding, homemade whipped cream, and fresh lemon juice inside an easy store-bought crust.
Pistachio Pie - One of my personal favorites! Cool, creamy and so easy to make with pistachio pudding, cream cheese, and whipped cream.
Root Beer Float Pie - A frozen cool treat made with root beer, root beer extract, vanilla pudding, and Cool Whip. This pie can be made in just minutes!
Lemon Crumb Bars - A brown sugar streusel with a lemon cream center and then topped with more brown sugar oatmeal streusel.
Coconut Cream Fruit Dip - Seriously the best fruit dip ever! It's a must try for all the coconut lovers.
Key Lime Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
Key Lime Pie
- 2 cans (14 oz each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice (see notes)
- zest from 2 limes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- zest from 1 lime optional for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl mix together all the graham cracker crust ingredients and stir until it's well combined. Press into a 9-inch pie plate. * You want to get a tight crust so press it really well into the pie plate. Use the flat underside of a measuring up to get it pressed into the pie plate well.
- Cook for 7 minutes. Let the crust cool while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl add the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, key lime juice, and lime zest. Stir with a whisk until it's combined well and smooth.
- Pour into the graham cracker crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the pie cool for about 20-30 minutes and then cover with saran wrap. Make sure that the saran wrap is touching the top of the key lime pie to prevent condensation from the refrigeration time.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve beat the heavy whipping cream and powderd sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form. This will take several minutes. Start on LOW speed and increase speed as needed as the cream gets thicker.
- Pipe the whipped cream onto the pie (as pictured) or serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream. You can also just use the spray whipped cream in a can if wanted.