Easy, refrigerated crescent roll dough is used as a crust in this seasoned beef filled pie. Top with some crunchy, cheesy Doritos chips and you have a super fun, totally kid-approved dinner!
This “pie” has been bookmarked for years, literally years. When I was first married I used to buy those Taste of Home magazines whenever I found them in the store, and I would even order a bunch online. I literally had hundreds of them. I still buy one of them here and there, but not like before. We have 3 kids now, 2 car payments, and a mortgage so our “fun money” (aka- cookbook hoarding money) is pretty much non existent 🙂
I still remember sitting at our little table in our teeny tiny kitchen and looking through all the magazines and “bookmarking” the recipes I wanted to try. My husband worked until late at night, after going to school all day, so I had lots of down time and that’s how I filled it. I saw this recipe for Nacho Pie and thought it sounded good, so I bookmarked it. Never made it. Years went by and I still saw that same recipe in other magazines I would buy. Finally, I felt like it was a sign I NEEDED to finally make it because I recently bought Taste of Home ‘Most Requested Recipes’ magazines and there it was: Nacho Pie. So, I made it.
And, to make a long story short, the first words out of my husband’s mouth were “why have you not made this before?!?” Ummm…… I should have, darn it. All those years of not having this recipe 🙁
I also love this because it is the one time that it is perfectly acceptable to say, when your kids ask what’s for dinner, “PIE!” Let’s just say that my kids devoured this stuff. It’s good. I loved it. The hubs loved it. The kids loved it. I really hope you love it as well. This is definitely one of those recipes that you will add to the ‘family approved, easy dinner recipes’ pile. I put it in mine.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, or 1 packet
- 1 tube (8 oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Doritos cheese chips, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese, mexican blend or colby-jack
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer while you prepare the rest.
- Separate crescent dough into 8 triangles. Place in a greased 9-inch pie plate with the points towards the center. Using your fingers, seal the perforations and press the dough evenly on the bottom and up the sides to form a crust (picture below).
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the crushed chips over the crust. Top with the ground beef. Carefully spread the sour cream over the meat mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese and the remaining 1/2 cup of crushed chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cheese will be melted and the crust will be golden brown. I put a piece of tin foil loosely over the pie for the last 10 minutes of baking so the crust would not burn. My pie was done right at 25 minutes.
The crescent dough and crust thing may get confusing for some. I had trouble with it at first. Here is a picture. Hope that helps!
Hope you have a great day! Thank you for visiting us 🙂