CHICKEN FAJITA BAKE RECIPE
Now that my kids are finally in school I can actually think and have time to bake! It’s the first year that all 4 of my kids are in school, so I am loving this extra time I have. This chicken fajita bake was one of the first recipes I wanted to get made and photographed for you all cause it is so good and it’s also a perfect thing to make for healthy lunches through out the week (which is what I use it for).
So simple and so yummy. Bakes up in only one pan in the oven. Fajita seasoned chicken breasts covered in bell peppers, onion, and cheese. Everything you love about fajitas but in an easy one pan meal.
CHICKEN FAJITA RECIPE WITHOUT MARINADE & TORTILLAS
If you’re looking for chicken fajitas that don’t have to marinate for hours then you are in the right place! I love that this baked fajita chicken recipe only calls for dry seasonings that you just sprinkle on top of the chicken. This way you don’t have to try and remember in the middle of the day to marinate chicken 🙂
This recipe is also great for those watching carbs. No tortilla needed with this! Eat as is (chicken + peppers), serve over a bed rice, or I like to serve it on top of a bed of lettuce and then top it with some salsa verde ranch sauce, sour cream, or cilantro ranch salad dressing.
MY TIPS FOR THIS ONE PAN DINNER RECIPE
– For the fastest cook time I recommend cutting the chicken breasts into thin slices. So instead of one giant chicken breast you will have two thinner pieces of chicken breast. If you do this you only need 2 large chicken breasts instead of 4.
– Try not to have the chicken touching. A 9×13 baking dish in plenty of room for the recipe as called for but if you are doubling then you may want to use a larger pan or use two 9×13 baking pans.
– Serve this baked fajita chicken over a bed of rice, on top of lettuce w/ salad dressing, or eat it as is. You can also top it with some lime wedges (squeeze the juice over the chicken), sour cream, chopped cilantro, and avocado slices if wanted.
– Depending on how thick or thin the chicken breasts are will determine the cook time. My chicken was done at 40 minutes and they were thin sliced chicken breasts. Make sure the internal temperature at the thickest part of the chicken is 165 degrees.
TRY THESE OTHER FAJITA RECIPES
- creamy chicken fajita pasta
- skillet ranch chicken fajitas
- chicken fajita burrito bowls
- sheet pan chicken fajitas
- steak fajita marinade
- easy skillet shrimp fajitas
One Pan Chicken Fajita Bake
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Chicken Fajita Bake
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
- fajita seasoning (recipe above)
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced in half moon shapes
- 3 small bell peppers red, orange, & yellow
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream for garnish
- Heat oven to 375°. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine all fajita seasoning ingredients into a small bowl and stir with a whisk or a fork to combine.
- Lay the chicken breasts down in the baking dish. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over top.
- Mix the bell peppers and onions in a bowl and spread over top the chicken. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top the bell peppers.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, uncovered, or until temperature in the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165° temperature. * Towards the end of the cook time if the cheese is getting too browned for your liking, simply lay a piece of tin foil loosely over top of the dish.
- Serve the chicken over rice, cauli-rice, salad greens, or eat it as is.