Oven roasted parmesan Brussel sprouts are a quick & easy 20 minute side dish that are healthy and delicious. Only a few simple ingredients to the best Brussel sprouts that are bursting with flavor.
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
I am surprised that there are no brussel sprout recipes on this blog seeing that they are my favorite! Like I am seriously obsessed with them. I’ve been known to make these oven roasted parmesan Brussel sprouts for lunch or even a snack. The flavor, the crunch and char on them, and the ease of preparation make them my favorite.
If you’re not familiar with Brussel sprouts they are little cabbage like vegetables. You can buy them already trimmed and prepared and ready to use, or you buy the ones that you have to trim and cut in half. Either way, the flavor is similar to cabbage (but better!) and cooking them in the oven gives them a crunch and a char. The best part of these are those charred pieces!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Combine parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper with the Brussel sprouts in a bowl and mix together. Spread that onto a baking sheet and let it cook. It’s a no fuss, quick side dish.
The key to the best roasted vegetables is the high temperature and spacing them out on the cookie sheet. If the veggies are touching or on top of each other, you will end up steaming them rather than roasting them. When you spread them out try and make sure that the veggies are not overlapping.
Tips for making the best Brussel Sprouts
- DO NOT have the brussel sprouts overlapping or touching on the cookie sheet. You want them spread out so that they crisp up, get that nice charred exterior. If they are touching or there are too many crammed onto the cookie sheet, you will end up steaming them instead.
- Feel free to use fresh garlic if that’s what you prefer.
- You can buy brussel sprouts that are already trimmed OR buy the regular, untrimmed ones. Just make sure that you cut the end off (looks like a stump) and I also like to peel the exterior layer of skin off as it’s usually bad looking.
- I know it’s an extra step but you do need to cut them in half.
Even if you *think* you don’t like Brussel sprouts or have never had them, try these and it just might change your mind or make you a fan of them. Let me know if you try them!
- 1 1/2 lbs brussel sprouts (trimmed & halved)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Very lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine brussel sprouts (that have been halved and ends trimmed) with the remaining ingredients. Toss together to coat all the brussel sprouts.
Spread onto the cookie sheet making sure they are not touching.
Cook for 16-18 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe is so versatile. Add in additional seasonings if wanted.
You can use the cheaper grated parmesan cheese in the green can or shredded parmesan cheese that comes pre-shredded, or even shred your own fresh parmesan cheese.
I always use extra virgin light olive oil as the flavor is very mild.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
Recipe originally published September 2017.
It has been updated and republished September 2018.