A peppermint shortbread cookie base with crunchy pieces of candy cane and then topped with a Hershey's Candy Cane Kiss that melts into the cookie! Be sure you try eating one warm when the chocolate is warm & gooey 🙂
Welcome to day 12 of 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS COOKIES !!
It's the last sweet treat recipe for the 12 days of Christmas cookies! This has been super fun, but also very overwhelming. Making 12 desserts/sweets 12 days in a row is not something I normally do. I know I missed two days, but between pink eye, colds, sore throats, and school activities the past two weeks I've barely had time to breathe, let alone make dessert 🙂 As proof, I have about 20 (no joke, 20!) loads of laundry waiting for me in one big gigantic pile in the laundry room.....
So lets end this on a bang with these peppermint candy cane kiss cookies.
The cookie is a shortbread cookie so there is no egg in it. That confused me a bit when I first made these, but it is correct, no egg. The cookie dough will also not be like traditional cookie dough. The dough will be crumbly and will only come together when you shape it into a ball with your hands.
Just want to give fair warning so that you don't think you did something wrong when you make them 🙂
You will be tempted to add some milk or something ( I was!) but don't do it.
The best way to get the candy canes into fine crumbs is to place the candy canes inside a Ziploc bag and then pound them until crushed with a meat pounder or some other heavy, hard object.
If you want the candy cane kiss to retain it's kiss shape, place the unwrapped kisses in a bowl in the fridge for an hour or so before you use them. The cold chocolate will not melt as fast and retain most of it's shape once pressed into the cookie.
Because of the shortbread cookie, you can't so much "roll" the dough into a ball, you more so have to press and shape the dough into a ball. But the dough should hold together when pressed and shaped into a ball.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- 1 package (10 oz) Candy Cane Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheets by lining with silpat or parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and peppermint extract.
- Add in crushed candy canes and blend until combined.
- Add the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and salt; stir well. Dough will be crumbly and dry.
- Chill dough for 60 minutes.
- Press and shape dough into 1” balls, then roll in granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then gently press a candy cane kiss into the middle of the cookie. Remove cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Hope y'all have enjoyed all these sweets & treats 🙂 Happy baking!