Reeses oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars are thick, soft, chewy and topped with a Reese’s heart! The perfect dessert to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Decorate with some red and pink sprinkles for a festive look.
I’ve had all the episodes of the show ‘This Is Us’ on my DVR for months now….. I’ve heard everyone talking about it so I figured it was about time I knew what the fuss was about. Holy moly you guys, I can’t stop watching it 🙂
Like I stay up until 2 am because I just can’t stop at one episode. Oh, and don’t get me started with all the crying….. I need to hurry and get caught up because it’s all I can think about. I have a really exciting life, huh?! haha
Along with my favorite show the other thing I cant stop thinking about are the Reese’s Hearts. I combined my favorite Valentine’s treat with one of the most popular recipes on the blog, these oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookie bars. You end up with a super soft, thick, and chewy bar and each piece is topped with a Reese’s heart. Sprinkle the hearts with sprinkles if wanted for a festive look.
I have a list of Valentine’s Day traditions & activities on the blog. Every year we do a restaurant at home. It’s something my kids talk about all year long. These cookie bars just may make an appearance at our restaurant! Go HERE to see all the fun traditions ♥
I also have a big list of fun Valentine’s Day Minute to Win It Games. Perfect for a school party, family party, get together, etc. One of my favorite things to do is to plan a party with family and/or friends and play those games and make lots of Valentine Day themed food.
It’s February 1st which means for the next 14 days I have to deliver “love mail” to my kids’ Valentine’s Day mailboxes. Which also means I NEED to make a run to Target to get some goodies! Oh darn….
I hope you try these out and let me know what you think!
Reese's Hearts Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole grain old-fashioned oats not quick oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup chocolate chips milk chocolate or semi-sweet
- 16-20 Reese's Peanut Butter Hearts unwrapped
- Depending on how many bars you need and/or the size of bars you want, use 16 or 20 Reese's Hearts. Unwrap Reese's Hearts and place in a bowl. Put the bowl in the refrigerator while you are preparing and cooking the cookie bars.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with tin foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and oats.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and sugar until fluffy looking and light in color, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Mix together well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix just until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Press the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. The bars will still look pale and slightly underdone in the middle. That's ok. Don't over bake or the bars will be dry!
- Take the Reese's Hearts out of the fridge and gently press them on top of the cooked bars. Let the bars cool completely, about 20-30 minutes.
- The chocolate heart will soften but still should remain it's shape. You can also sprinkle some Valentine's Day sprinkles on top of the soft chocolate for decoration.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST