Root beer BBQ chicken sandwiches are so incredibly easy to make! 3 ingredients and a slow cooker are all you need for a delicious dinner that is ready when you are. Perfect for a busy weeknight, picnic, potluck, or BBQ. Root beer, chicken breasts, BBQ sauce, and a few spices is all you need.
BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES
These root beer bbq chicken sandwiches will probably be one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make! I’ve been wanting to try this out but was always so skeptical that root beer + store bought BBQ sauce would give any flavor to the chicken. I was SO wrong!
Thanks to the hours of cook time in the slow cooker the meat gets super tender and the BBQ sauce and root beer provide so much flavor.
I seriously can’t stop thinking about this chicken. So easy. So simple. Perfect for a busy weeknight when you’re busy but still want to put dinner on the table.
Ingredients needed for bbq shredded chicken sandwiches
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- root beer
- BBQ sauce
- onion powder, garlic powder, and salt
- buns or rolls for serving
Lay the chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkle the spices over it. Mix the bbq sauce and root beer in a bowl and pour over the chicken.
This cooks all day in the slow cooker so the meat is fall apart tender and it’s a no fuss dinner. Serve with some buns or rolls and dinner is ready!
There will be lots of liquid but that’s a good thing! It keeps the chicken so moist and flavorful. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the chicken to drain some of the juice.
This recipe makes a lot so I always love to add some liquid to the leftovers and keep it in the fridge. Make sure you save some of the leftovers for this bbq chicken soup.
My tips for making this recipe
- If you’re not a fan of root beer then switch it out for Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, or some other cola.
- For a really delicious sandwich, spread butter on both sides of the bun and place them on a cookie sheet. Broil it on high in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Watch it carefully cause it burns fast!
- It’s important you use a BBQ sauce that you love the taste of. I always use sweet baby ray’s bbq sauce. But there are so many options in the store so use one you love.
Try these other BBQ dinner recipes
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups root beer (NOT diet)
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce
Place chicken breats inside the slow cooker. Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt over the chicken.
In a small bowl combine the root beer and bbq sauce. Pour over the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 7-8 hours.
When cook time is done, shred chicken with two forks and let it stay in the slow cooker (in the juices to stay moist) until ready to serve.
* This chicken does really on the warm setting too so if you're not eating right away just change the setting to warm and it will be ready when you are.
Serve shredded chicken on buns or rolls.
For best results do not use diet root beer.
If you're not a fan of root beer then switch it out for any cola (dr. pepper, pepsi, coke)
Be sure and use a bbq sauce that you love. I always use Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST