SAUSAGE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
This sausage breakfast casserole is always a hit with my family. We love to eat it as is or use it as filling inside breakfast burritos. Top with some diced tomatoes, bacon bits, salsa, and avocado for delicious breakfast burritos.
This breakfast casserole is loaded with shredded hash browns, crumbled breakfast sausage, eggs, and three types of cheese! It’s perfect for a weekend breakfast or for brinner (breakfast for dinner).
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE WITH GROUND SAUSAGE AND HASHBROWNS
Ground Breakfast Sausage
Onion & Salt
Eggs – Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix together with a whisk or a fork before you add them into the hash brown mixture.
Hash Browns – If you use frozen make sure they are thawed.
Shredded Swiss Cheese, Colby Jack Cheese – Use whatever cheese you like. If you want some spice then use Pepper Jack or you can use all Colby Jack cheese if wanted. The swiss cheese adds so much to the casserole so try it if you can.
Cottage Cheese – We love the cottage cheese in this recipe and have never made it any other way.
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- We love to eat this as filling inside breakfast burritos. Top with some salsa, cream, avocado, and bacon bits.
- Use any type of ground breakfast sausage you prefer. My kids love the maple version so that’s what I use.
- You can use any type of onion you want! White onion, yellow, or a sweet Vidalia onion works well too.
- I prefer the dehydrated shredded hash browns that you soak in boiling water. I get mine at Costco or Sam’s Club. You can also shred your own potatoes or use a bag of frozen shredded hash browns (remember to thaw!).
- You can prepare this the night before and let it sit covered in the refrigerator overnight. Bake it up in the morning according to the recipe instructions.
TRY THESE OTHER BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES
- peaches n’ cream cinnamon roll breakfast casserole
- easy cinnamon roll casserole
- biscuits & gravy breakfast casserole
- apple streusel french toast bake
- egg mcmuffin casserole
- chocolate chip cookie baked oatmeal
- fruity baked oatmeal
- berries n’ cream croissant breakfast casserole
- monte cristo breakfast bake
- tater tot breakfast casserole
Breakfast Sausage Casserole
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (if using table salt start with ½ teaspoon)
- 4 cups shredded & thawed hash browns (*see notes)
- 6 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 container (16 oz) cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese OR cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x13 baking dish well with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook sausage, diced onion, and salt until sausage is no longer pink. Crumble sausage as you cook it.
- In a large mixing bowl add the thawed hash browns, eggs, cottage cheese, and shredded cheeses. Stir together until combined.
- Drain the sausage of any grease once it's done cooking. Add into the hash brown mixture and stir everything together. Dump into the prepared pan and evenly spread it out.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes. Edges will be golden brown and the middle should look set and not "jiggly".
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan before serving.