SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE
I am always on the hunt for a good sloppy joe recipe that my kids will eat. My kids, especially the girls, have always refused to eat them because they are “too messy” 🙂
This sloppy joe biscuit casserole is not as messy because it can be cut into small squares and eaten like a sandwich. So if your kids are like mine and don’t want messy food, then be sure and give this a try!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THIS RECIPE
Lean Ground Beef – I always use lean but regardless of what percent fat ground beef you use, just be sure and drain the meat so you don’t end up with a really wet, greasy sloppy joe mixture.
Manwich – This is not a typical ingredient that I use. I love to make homemade sloppy joes but for ease and convenience, and kid friendly, I love using the canned sloppy joe sauce in this recipe. And it’s doctored up a bit so it really does taste good!
Crescent Dough Sheets – These are Pillsbury refrigerated crescents that are one entire sheet rather than the perforated crescent shape. Most grocery stores should have these but if you can’t find them a roll of crescent dough will work but you will end up with the perforated crescent shape in the crust. It will still taste the same but it won’t look the same as the pictures above.
Shredded Cheese – We love the more mild, creamy flavor of Colby Jack cheese but any cheese will work just fine.
Sesame Seeds – These are totally optional! I’ve made the recipe with and without them and it’s really not a big difference.
Dried Basil, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, and Brown Sugar
I love to serve this with watermelon chunks (or other fruit) and a green salad. My kids love green salad with the small baby tomatoes and cucumbers.
Sloppy Joe Biscuit Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) sloppy joe sauce like Manwich
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury Crescent Dough Sheet
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a skillet pan, over medium high heat, cook and crumble ground beef until no longer pink. Drain. Add the sloppy joe sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir together to combine and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Unroll one can of crescent dough and press into the bottom of the baking dish. Press it up about 1" on the sides of the pan.
- Spread beef mixture over the dough and top with the shredded cheese. Unroll the other crescent dough and shape it so it covers the cheese. You may have to use your fingers and pinch it, mold it to get it where you want it. Make sure that the meat/cheese is covered with the crescent dough.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the dough and gently press them down. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then cut into 8 squares and serve.