Warm up to a bowl of this hearty slow cooker 3 bean turkey chili. It’s a cinch to prepare and then you let the slow cooker do all the work. Add your favorite toppings and dinner is ready.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! I love this feeling at the beginning of a new year. So much hope, positivity, and motivation. I always seem to want to organize and deep clean my house at the start of every year. I’ve been like a mad crazy cleaning lady lately. I have made several trips to the store for storage bins already. It’s also the one time of year that I get super motivated to start a consistent laundry schedule. It usually lasts for about a week and then I go back to the same laundry struggles…… do 18 loads in one day, pile it up on the couch to be folded, and let it sit there for weeks!
I got a shiny new slow cooker for Christmas and wanted to put it to use right away. This slow cooker 3 bean turkey chili simmers away in the crock pot. The meat gets so tender and the simple flavors come together really nicely.
It only takes a few minutes in the morning to brown some ground turkey with an onion and some salt. Throw everything together in the crock pot and that’s it! If you want it spicier feel free to add more chili powder. The recipe as is, is a kid-friendly recipe but still has flavorful spice in it.
Don’t forget the toppings. They are a must! Our favorites are avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions.
I don't like chunks of green chilies so I combine the green chilies with the tomato sauce and blend it in a blender so it's smooth.
You just have to drain the beans. Do not rinse them.
This recipe is meant to be a thicker, heartier chili. If you prefer a thinner chili with more liquid, simply add some chicken stock or another stock.
- 1.3 lbs (20 oz) ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (15.5 oz) white northern beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, sliced avocado
- Combine ground turkey, chopped onion, and salt in a skillet pan over medium-high heat. Cook & crumble until meat is no longer pink. Dump into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.