Be sure to check out Together as Family on Facebook. We reached 1,000 likes and you can enter to win a $25 Target gift card! 🙂
Creamy, shredded caesar chicken inside warm pita bread. Top with some parmesan cheese, caesar salad dressing, romaine lettuce, and crunchy croutons! This is a simple, easy, and delicious family dinner.
I promise, I actually do feed my kids "food" of the non-sweet variety 😉 I know I have posted several desserts & treats lately..... Although, my 5 year old came home from school yesterday [all day kindergarten] and he ate 8 of these mini chocolate chip muffins + a bag of popcorn, 2 popsicles, turkey & cheese sandwich, bottle of water, and a granola bar! I had made the muffins and then portioned them out 2 to a sandwich bag so he could take them for the rest of the week in his lunch. Yea, he ate ALL of them 🙂 I seriously love that kid. He's a growing boy. But, seriously, I need help in the form of an extra $200 for my grocery budget?!? Anyone 😉
These Chicken Caesar Pitas were seriously one of the best things I have made recently. It's hard for me to say "the best", so I guess I will say that these pitas stood out from everything else I have made in the last couple of weeks. I am already planning on making them again. And, they make really yummy leftovers for lunch the next day! I even like the leftovers. Which means something because I normally will not go anywhere near leftover food in the fridge. I leave that for the hubs.
The chicken cooks in chicken broth and some spices and then you take it out and shred it. Be sure to NOT get rid of the extra chicken broth liquid in the slow cooker. I usually reserve about 1 cup. Once you shred the chicken, you'll want to add some of the chicken broth back in to keep the chicken moist and flavorful.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Caesar salad dressing
- Romaine lettuce
- Shredded parmesan cheese [pre-shredded or you shred from a wedge]
- Pita bread
- Place chicken breasts into the crock pot. Pour can of chicken broth over the chicken. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt on top. Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Take chicken out and shred with two forks on a plate.
- Either skim chicken fat from the cooking liquid and reserve 1 cup of it and discard the rest. Or pour chicken broth through a colander with a bowl underneath to catch the liquid; reserve 1 cup and discard the remainder.
- Place shredded chicken back into crock pot and add in chicken broth. Around 1/2 cup + more if needed. You don't want it soupy, you just want it slightly moist.
- Add Caesar salad dressing to the shredded chicken. I usually add about half the bottle. Add more or less depending on preference and taste. Cover with lid and let cook on low for 30 minutes, or place on 'warm' for up to a couple of hours [may need to add more liquid].
- Serve chicken in pita bread with romaine lettuce, shredded parmesan cheese, crushed croutons, and additional caesar dressing, if desired.
TIP: Once I take the chicken breasts out to shred them, I take the slow cooker (use hot pads!) and pour the liquid through a colander with a bowl underneath the colander. This way, the little fat pieces from the chicken get trapped in the colander and only the chicken broth goes through to the bowl. You do not have to do this. I am just picky when it comes to my meat, so I like to do it.
Found recipe at The Love Nerds blog