Chicken breasts cooked in a flavorful broth and some chopped onion and green pepper! The chicken gets so tender and flavorful. Serve on some toasted rolls or buns and top with a slice of cheese. These are one of my families favorite dinners!
These were originally published on Tornadough Alli as a guest post.
I love these chicken cheesesteak sandwiches because I can throw them in the slow cooker at lunch and then when it’s dinnertime you just shred the chicken inside the crock pot, toast some buns, and then assemble the cheesesteak sandwiches. So easy and delicious!
To toast the hoagie or buns: butter both sides of the bread and lay (butter side up) on a cookie sheet. Broil on low for just a few minutes. Keep a close eye on this because they will burn fast…. trust me on this one, I’ve ruined plenty of stuff this way 🙂
And if you want to make these extra delicious and have a few extra minutes;
place the toasted hoagie buns on a cookie sheet (only the bottom bun)
put some chicken cheesesteak mixture on each bun
top with a slice of cheese (do not top with the top of the bun)
Place the cookie sheet into the broiler on low and broil the sandwiches just for a minute or two so the cheese can melt over the chicken mixture and bun!
Fill each bun/hoagie with some chicken cheesesteak mixture and then hurry and put a slice of cheese over top so it has time to melt. We love to use the slices of white Velveeta cheese because they melt fabulously, but I know some people don’t like Velveeta, so feel free to use any cheese you want. You can’t go wrong cheese, right?! My favorite cheese is Muenster cheese and as I am sitting here typing this I am asking myself “why on earth I have never tried it on these yet!?”
These chicken cheesesteak sandwiches are one of my families favorite dinners. They’re so easy to prepare and althougt they may not be an “authentic” cheesesteak sandwich……. they will be so delicious and hopefully will become a regular on your menu plans 🙂
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 large chicken breasts)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons steak sauce (like Heinz 57)
- 6-8 hoagie buns
- 6-8 cheese slices
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray. Lay the onion and bell pepper slices in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Pour the chicken broth over the green pepper and onion. Lay the chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the salt, black pepper, garlic powder. Drizzle the steak sauce over top.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Shred the chicken breasts with two forks and stir everything together in the crockpot. There will be some juice in there and I like to let it all soak, so it does not dry out, while I am preparing the toasted buns and getting ready for dinner.
- When ready to serve, use a slotted spoon (to let the excess moisture drain) to get some of the chicken cheesesteak mixture. Place on a toasted bun and top with a slice of cheese.
Try out these other easy, delicious, and simple slow cooker dinners!