Tender, sliced deli meat gets soaked in a delicious brown sugar & vinegar sauce, and then slow cooks to perfection in only a couple of hours! Serve on your favorite rolls with some sliced cheese and you have a yummy hot and cheesy ham sandwich.
One of the things that makes me happy are easy, easy, and I mean really easy dinner recipes that also happen to be yummy! With the Holidays coming up I am starting to get stressed about all the stuff that goes along with them; parties, school functions, family gatherings, church activities! Sometimes it can get crazy, like this next week. We have 3 Halloween activities/celebrations lined up + trick-or-treating!
Which, can I just add that I dread Halloween because of the candy. It’s seriously my worst nightmare. My kids are like obsessed with candy so they want to eat it all. the. time! I literally spend the entire month or so after Halloween saying (over and over again)….
“no more candy”
“you don’t need to eat 5 lbs of candy in one day”
” your teeth are going to fall out!”
I love them to death, but honestly, I could do without Halloween and trick-or-treating. The only redeeming thing about it all is that I get to pick through their bags for all the almond joys 🙂
If you follow me along on Instagram (yes! do it) then you saw the funny Halloween candy thing I shared this past week. It’s all too true in my house!
Ok, I got off track a little bit. Anyway, these hot ham & cheese sandwiches are so easy. You put some sliced deli meat (I prefer the fresh sliced stuff you get at the deli counter) into the slow cooker, boil together the sauce, and pour over the meat. That simple! It only needs about 2-3 hours to cook. Any longer than that and you’ll probably end up with jerky. And that just wouldn’t be good.
I have found that sliced white american cheese works the best. It melts beautifully, unlike the stuff that you buy in the package already sliced. I just ask the deli counter to cut me 8 slices of white american cheese and it’s usually only around $2, which is much cheaper than buying the pre-sliced packages of cheese.
Keep these sandwiches in your “super-duper-easy-and-oh-so-delicious” recipe box 🙂
Enjoy friends and thanks for visiting!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 2 lbs shaved deli ham
- bread rolls
- sliced white american cheese
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and place the shaved deli ham into crock pot.
- In sauce pan, mix together the water, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, dry mustard, and optional hot sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and let boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the sauce over the ham in the slow cooker and mix together to make sure all the meat is covered.
- Cook on low heat for 2-4 hours. Serve on rolls, spread with mayonnaise, and a slice of cheese.
recipe found at Betty Crocker