Let the slow cooker do all the work for dinner with this delicious and super flavorful & tender slow cooker southern shredded chicken! I love to serve these in rolls and with a side of coleslaw.
I LOVE me some easy, inexpensive dinners. Especially now that my kids are out of school I swear my grocery bill is crazy high now! My husband does the money & budget for the family so the other day I was like begging him to give me more grocery money cause I have been spending way more than what I have for groceries each time. Well, actually this last trip I took I was inside when a torrential downpour of rain came. I am talking the type of rain where you are soaked to the bones within seconds of stepping outside. So, to avoid the rain I stayed inside the store walking up and down the aisles. Ummm, never do that 🙂 I was adding in random things that looked good, so I am sure all that added to the high bill 🙂 Anyways, I decided to finally leave and just deal with the rain. Bad idea. The cereal boxes were ruined. The bread was soggy. I was drenched. Dripping water. And, with just my luck once I am finally in the car with my soaking wet groceries, the rain STOPS!! What?! I was so annoyed.
That's why I love this slow cooker southern shredded chicken. It's very inexpensive and makes enough to feed the entire family for two days. We love these as little sandwiches on rolls. I also serve it alongside some coleslaw too. I actually think it tastes really good to top off your shredded chicken sandwich roll with some coleslaw.
I am not sure why it's called southern shredded chicken (I am not from the south. Although I have always wished I was. That accent). I found the recipe at Taste of Home and we've loved it since, so I kept the name the name the same. Not sure what's "southern" about it, but who cares, cause it's delicious!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Place chicken in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato soup, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder, salt, celery seed, and soy sauce. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender.
- An hour before slow cook time is done, take out the chicken and shred with two forks. Place shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and finish the remaining cook time.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve onto rolls for a sandwich or you can even serve over cornbread.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to your Pinterest board ♥ ♥
Shared at The Weekend Potluck