This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CampbellSavings #CollectiveBias
These vegetable Italian Joes are an easy weeknight dinner, perfect for busy back-to-school, and you’ll feel good about all the “hidden veggies” your family will eat! Prego Pasta Sauce makes these Vegetable Italian Joes so yummy & simple to make!
Can you believe that school is starting soon? I swear summer just started! The kids always make a ‘summer bucket list’ and let’s just say that I thought I had way more time 🙂 There is still so much to do! My oldest will be in 1st grade and he starts back the 17th of August. Oh, and this week we’re buying school supplies. It’s just crazy how time flies. I will admit it and say that I am actually so excited for school to start. Don’t tell my kids this but they are having a serious case of “I’ve-been-around-my-siblings-too-much fighting disorder” 🙂 Is there such a thing? Please tell me other families go through that summer slump.
With back-to-school comes lots of homework and after school activities, so I am always looking for easy & fast dinner solutions that help my family get in some good nutrients. I have a whole collection of easy meals and I make those often during the busy school year. These Vegetable Italian Joes are definitely being added to that list! At the top!
One of the biggest struggles of my own family dinner table is getting everyone to eat vegetables. Which is why I love these Vegetable Italian Joes. You guys! They are loaded with veggies and no one would ever know. My family certainly had no idea that they were eating carrot, zucchini, and red pepper! Plus, by using a jar of Prego Italian Pasta Sauce, not only is it simple & easy for any home cook to use but it also has the perfect balance of sweet & savory and provides so much flavor and deliciousness to these sloppy joes.
You can find all the varieties of Prego Italian Sauce in the pasta aisle at your local Walmart. Be sure and get yourself a jar of it and read below for how to score some awesome coupons for easy & simple back-to-school pantry staples.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion (or 1/2 of a large), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 1 jar (24 oz) Prego Tomato, Basil, Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Sliced provolone cheese
- In a skillet pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, onion, and salt until ground beef is no longer pink. Crumble the meat as you cook it. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the shredded zucchini & carrots, diced bell pepper, Prego Pasta Sauce, and the seasonings. Stir together and bring to a low boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While this simmers you can toast your sloppy joe buns. Place opened buns on a cookie sheet, put a slice of cheese on one side and then spray the other side lightly with cooking spray. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the sloppy joe mixture onto the buns. Eat & enjoy!
Do you want to save this recipe for later? PIN IT here!
Campbell’s wants to help all parents prepare for back to school. They are offering great coupons on Pace Salsa, Prego Italian Sauce, Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup, and V8 + Energy. Be sure and go get yourself some of those coupons. You can find more information on Campbell’s products as well as great recipes HERE. Be sure and check it out!
I also picked up some V8 + Energy drinks while shopping at Walmart. I am so not a morning person and we all know that back-to-school brings back those tight schedules and early mornings. V8 + Energy comes in several delicious flavors; like Pomegranate Blueberry, Peach Mango, Orange Pineapple, Black Cherry. Plus, it tastes like fruit, is nutritious thanks to the combined serving of fruits and vegetables, has natural energy from green tea extract, and it’s only 50 calories per can!
You can find this delicious drink in the juice aisle at your local Walmart.