The best, no cracks on top key lime cheesecake ever! Graham cracker crust with a creamy and smooth key lime cheesecake filling, and topped with sweetened whipped cream. Tips & tricks on how to get no cracks on the top of the cheesecake so you can get perfect, bakery cheesecake from home.
This key lime cheesecake has completely stolen my heart. Never in my life did I think that I could make a cheesecake with no cracks on top and a perfectly smooth and creamy filling with a refreshing tart & sweet key lime filling.
When I made this perfect cheesecake, I thought that was it. Like there was no way it would happen again for me. I was so wrong.
Cheesecake used to always intimidate me. But I promise that if you follow the directions exactly, that you can make perfect cheesecake too!
When most people think of the perfect cheesecake they think of a light and creamy filling and NO cracks on top of the cheesecake. This recipe will do just that!
Cheesecake is one of the most decadent desserts ever and it's so rich & creamy. You normally would not think of it as a summer dessert, but with that perfectly tart & sweet, and refreshing key lime cheesecake filling, it is totally a summer dessert now.
How to make perfect key lime cheesecake
- Mix up a 3-ingredient homemade graham cracker crust and press it into a 9" springform pan. If you don't have one, I would highly recommend getting one. You really must use it for this recipe and any cheesecake recipe. They are fairly inexpensive and last forever. The one I use is actually one that my husband had before we got married. It is at least 12+ years old and still going strong!
- Once the crust and cooked and cooled, mix up the cheesecake filling. The trick here is to make sure the cream cheese is nice and softened. Pour the filling into the crust and bake.
- There are two tricks to getting perfect cheesecake. The first is to put a pan of boiling water on the bottom oven rack while the cheesecake is baking. Yes, it's one more step but it yields the perfect cheesecake so it's totally worth it in my book. The second, is after the cook time is up to tilt the oven door slightly open (about 4-6" inches) and let it cool down almost completely in the oven. Then you refrigerate it for at least overnight.
I made this for Father's Day because my husband's favorite dessert of all-time is cheesecake! What better way to celebrate father's day than by making him his favorite dessert. He loved it and this cheesecake was a major hit that day with everyone.
Plan ahead when making this cheesecake. You will need to make it the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. You could even make it 2 days in advance to save even more time! Cheesecake is not one of those things that you can rush. It needs to be in the fridge for a long time!
Give this key lime cheesecake a try and let me know what you think!
Be sure and try out these other key lime treats and cheesecake recipes
- the perfect, no-fail cheesecake recipe
- key lime cheesecake fruit dip
- key lime pie
- macadamia nut key lime pie
Key Lime Cheesecake
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
Key Lime Cheesecake
- 3 bars (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 3 large eggs
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- lime zest or slices for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Position the oven racks so one is just above the middle position and the other is just below the middle position. Lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until the graham cracker crumbs are evenly coated. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides (about 1/2" up) of the prepared springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, cornstarch and lime zest together until smooth and creamy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the key lime juice and mix until combined. Add the eggs and mix until just combined. Over mixing can cause the cheesecake to crack while baking because of all the extra air beat into the filling, so be sure to mix just until combined and creamy.
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the crust and spread evenly.
- Place a metal or glass 9X13-inch pan (or similar-sized pan) on the bottom rack of the oven and pour in 3 cups of boiling water. Immediately place the cheesecake on the upper rack and bake for 55-65 minutes until the cheesecake is set around the edges. A slight jiggle in the center of the cheesecake is fine.
- When cook time is done, turn the oven off and prop the oven door open about 4 inches. Keep the cheesecake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake overnight.
- When ready to serve, whip together the cream and powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Either spread the whipped cream evenly over the cheesecake or pipe it around the edges, or just dollop a spoonful on each individual piece. If wanted, garnish with lime slices or lime zest.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST