This apple cider pudding cake is a homemade apple spiced cake with an apple cider glaze that gets poured over the top. It bakes up and creates it’s own pudding. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream and you have the perfect Fall dessert.
I happen to be one of those weird pregnant ladies that don’t crave anything. In fact, I hate most foods while pregnant. It kind of stinks you know. No midnight ice cream runs. No Saturday morning donut stops. Nope. Not for me 🙂 I’ve basically been living off those Izze carbonated juice drinks. Which by the way are so good! I recently bought a bunch of them in bulk at Costco. I was totally that crazy preggo lady with a cart full of Izze 🙂
I tell you this because one day I got this intense craving to make this apple cider pudding cake. Which is weird considering that I don’t crave foods while pregnant. So I figured that must be a sign to make it 🙂 I’ve made this every Fall for the past few years. It’s basically become one of our traditions during Fall.
It’s a moist apple spiced cake, then you pour an apple cider mix over it (don’t stir), stick it in the oven and it’s like magic as it bakes. The cake bakes to the top and the boiling apple cider mixture goes to the bottom and forms this thick pudding like mixture. Oh, and you can’t forget about that streusel on top. So good!
You have to serve this with some vanilla bean ice cream. Trust me 🙂
This cake is best eaten right after baking and within 30 minutes of baking it. If it sits out too long, the pudding layer tends to dissolve back into the cake.
Use a tart apple; like a granny smith or a fuji, or empire.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped apples, peeled
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small chunks
- Spray an 8×8 inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the cake: In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Stir with a whisk. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, 1 cup brown sugar, milk, melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, until just combined. Gently fold in chopped, peeled apples. Spread into prepared baking dish.
- For the boiling mixture: In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, cinnamon, vanilla extract and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat (it won't take long). Pour slowly and carefully over the apple cake batter in the baking dish. DO NOT STIR OR MIX.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a pastry cutter, a forl, or your fingers until mixture is combined and looks crumbly.
- Once cake has baked for the 30 minutes, take it out and sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top and bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the top layer of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Serve immediately with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.