This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Big Mac Hot Dogs are a fun & creative twist to traditional hot dogs. Everything you love about a classic Big Mac – special sauce, shredded lettuce, pickles, onion, and cheese – but in a hot dog bun with a beef hot dog!
Big Mac Hot Dogs Recipe
If you’re looking for a fun way to serve traditional hot dogs for dinner, then these Big Mac hot dogs are a must-make!
Kids and adults alike love these because they have all the classic and beloved flavors of an original Big Mac, but in hot dog form.
Grilled hot dogs sit inside a buttery sesame seed bun, slices of American cheese, pickles, white onion, shredded lettuce, and topped off with ‘special sauce’.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fun Dinner Idea! – Sometimes you just want to change up your dinner routine and make something that’s totally fun, delicious, and something new. These Big Mac hot dogs are just that! Creative, yummy, and a fun dinnertime twist to the norm.
- All The Classic Flavors! – You might even think that you’re actually eating a Big Mac with the all beef hot dog, lettuce, pickles, onion, and even the special sauce.
- Summertime Dinner – No need to even turn on the oven for this recipe. Simply grill the hot dogs outside, and everything else is just prep work in the kitchen.
- Special Sauce
- Dill Pickle Relish
- Ketchup & Yellow Mustard
- Vinegar – apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar will work.
- Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt – The dried seasonings for this sauce.
- Big Mac Hot Dogs
- Bun Length All Beef Hot Dogs – The all beef hot dogs will best replicate the beef burger. Other hot dogs can be used baes on preference or diet.
- Hot Dog Buns – This recipe calls for the buns to be buttered and then sprinkle on some sesame seeds. I recommend using plain buns, but you could also use sesame hot dog buns and just brush on melted butter and skip this sesame seeds. This is a good option if you don’t have sesame seeds at home. Just buy the sesame buns instead.
- Melted Butter + Sesame Seeds – For the hot dog buns to replicate the hamburger bun of a Big Mac.
- Sliced American Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Dill Pickle Slices or Chopped Dill Pickles
- White Onion – Finely diced.
How To Make Hot Dogs Like a Big Mac
- Whisk together all the special sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Place the sauce in the fridge, covered, until ready to use. This sauce can be prepared up to 1-3 days ahead of time.
- Cook the hot dogs using your favorite cooking method. I prefer grilling them.
- While the hot dogs are cooking, toast the buns. Once toasted and warm, brush them with melted butter and sprinkle sesame seeds on.
- Place two slices of American cheese into each hot dog bun. Return the buns to the grill or broiler for 1-2 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Add 1/4 cup of shredded lettuce into each hot dog bun.
- Place a grilled hot dog into each bun (on top of the lettuce). Tuck 3-4 pickle slices or chopped pickles into each hot dog. Sprinkle white onion over top.
- Drizzle each hot dog with the special sauce. Enjoy!
FAQ’s + Expert Tips
- Serving Size : The recipe as listed makes 8 hot dogs. If you need less, then only toast and grill for as many as you need for serving. The special sauce stores well, and each of the other component store well in the fridge, so only grill as many hot dogs as you intend to serve. Leftovers will not store well (already assembled).
- Toasted Buns : Use an oven broiler to toast them or the grill to toast them (this is easy if you’re already grilling the hot dogs). Only toast as many buns as you need. Leftover toasted buns will harden, therefore they are best eaten fresh and not as leftovers.
- Prep Tip : Save prep time for the day of and prepare the social sauce up to 1-3 days ahead of time. Or make it the morning of so it’s ready to go for dinnertime. You can also prepare each component and store it, separately, in the fridge. Cheese slices, shredded lettuce, and the pickles.
- What’s The Best Way To Drizzle The Sauce : I find it easiest to use a condiment squeeze bottle. You can find these with the other kitchen utensils, at the dollar store, or order this Condiment Squeeze Bottle from amazon. You can also just use a spoon to drizzle some on or put the sauce into a Ziploc bag and snip the corner off.
What Kind of Hot Dog Is Best To Use?
I recommend using an all beef hot dog so it best replicates that beefy Big Mac flavor. But, feel free to use any variety you like – turkey dogs, cheesy dogs, or a turkey/pork/beef blend hot dog.
Big Mac Hot Dogs
Big Mac Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar OR white distilled vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Big Mac Hot Dogs
- 8 bun length beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 16 slices American cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- dill pickle slices
- finely diced white onion
- Add all the Big Mac sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together to combine thoroughly. Set aside for later. * I prefer the sauce after it has had time to chill and for the flavors to combine together. I recommend making it several hours before serving so it has time to chill in the fridge.1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 teaspoon yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar OR white distilled vinegar, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook the hot dogs using your favorite method. I love using a grill pan on the stove top, but you can also use a skillet pan or outdoor grill.8 bun length beef hot dogs
- While the hot dogs are cooking toast the buns. Place the buns onto a baking sheet and broil in the oven just until warmed. Remove the buns and while they're still warm, brush each one with melted butter and sprinkle on some sesame seeds.8 hot dog buns, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Place two slices of American cheese inside each hot dog bun and return the buns to the broiler for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.16 slices American cheese
- Add 1/4 cup shredded lettuce on top of the cheese. Place a grilled hot dog on top of the lettuce. Tuck 3-4 dill pickle slices down the side of the hot dog. Sprinkle white onion over top. Drizzle each one with Big Mac special sauce.2 cups shredded lettuce, dill pickle slices, finely diced white onion