This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Chili Coney Dogs are so simple to make in the slow cooker! Hot dogs and the savory ground beef meat sauce cook together in the crock pot. Serve in hot dog buns and top with shredded cheese and finely diced white onion.
SLOW COOKER CHILI CONEY DOGS RECIPE
These slow cooker chili Coney dogs are so easy to make because the hot dogs and the savory ground beef meat sauce cook together at the same time in the slow cooker.
This is one of my family’s favorite summertime meals. The kid favorite hot dog, topped with a rich and hearty ground beef chili, shredded cheese, and white onion (if wanted). So delicious and even better when you broil them in the oven before serving.
A Coney Dog is a hot dog in a bun that is topped with a savory meat sauce and other toppings like cheese and onion. All you need are some simple ingredients to make your own right at home.
Dried Minced Onion
Cayenne Pepper – Totally optional if you want some heat. I never add this because kids… 🙂
MY TIPS WHEN MAKING SLOW COOKER CHILI CONEY DOGS
– My kids prefer turkey hot dogs so that is what I always use in this recipe. They cook a lot faster and don’t need as long of cook time as all beef hot dogs do. I find that when I use turkey hot dogs that I only need to set the slow cooker time for 3 hours.
– This is how I serve these chili Coney dogs. I put the 8 hot dog buns into a 9×13 baking dish. Place a hot dog in each bun, and then top each hot dog with some of the ground beef chili. Sprinkle however much shredded cheese you want and then top with some finely chopped white onions. I then broil it on high (watch it so closely!) for a few minutes. The cheese melts. The buns get some crisp to them. And it just tastes really yummy.
– If you’re in a hurry then just simply serve the Coney dogs straight from the slow cooker inside some hot dog buns and with toppings. Either way is yummy.
– We love to top ours with crushed up Fritos corn chips. Really good with the extra crunch.
– Even if you don’t like onions try them just once. They add so much to these hot dogs and I highly recommend them as a topping.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH CHILI CONEY DOGS
- lemon yogurt fruit salad
- ranch pasta salad
- world’s best baked beans
- slow cooker sweet glazed carrots
- honey butter skillet corn
- fritos corn salad
Easy Slow Cooker Chili Coney Dogs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper totally optional, I never use this
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- shredded cheese, finely chopped white onion, pickle relish optional toppings
- In a skillet pan cook ground beef, over medium high heat, for 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Crumble the ground beef as you cook it. Drain excess grease.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, dried minced onion, garlic powder, ground mustard, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper if using. Stir together and let it simmer while you prepare the hot dogs.
- Spray the insert of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Lay the hot dogs on the bottom. Pour the ground beef meat sauce over top the hot dogs. Cook on LOW heat for 3-5 hours. * I use turkey hot dogs and they don't need to cook as long. Mine are done just shy of 3 hours. Either turkey dogs or all beef hot dogs can be used in this recipe.
- When cook time is done serve the chili Coney dogs inside hot dog buns and top with some ground beef chili mixture (I use a slotted spoon when serving the chili). Top with shredded cheese, onion, and relish if wanted.*When I have time, I place the hot dog buns in a 9x13 baking dish and put a hot dog in each bun. I then use a slotted spoon to put some chili on top of each dog. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and white onion. I broil it on high (watch closely!) for just a few minutes.