Black Bean Corn Quinoa Salad is a hearty, protein packed salad with quinoa, black beans, corn, and cilantro. Make as a delicious and healthy side dish for dinner or make at the beginning of the week for healthy lunches all week long.
I am halfway through my no-sugar challenge for January! One thing I have learned from doing this is that I love to plan and prepare healthy foods that I can eat all week long. I have been on the hunt for healthy, filling, and no sugar lunch ideas. Lunch is the hardest time of the day for me and it's usually when I start to graze and snack, or eat whatever leftovers the kids have from their lunch.
This black bean and corn quinoa salad has been my favorite thing so far. I make it at the beginning of the week and then portion it out into some Tupperware containers and pull one out each day for lunch. You can eat this salad warm or cold. I actually preferred it cold straight out of the fridge. But if you want you can warm it up in the microwave for a bit.
Quinoa has never been one of my favorite foods but with recipes like this one I am slowly getting converted to liking it. The directions say to heat up the pan with oil and then add your chopped onions. Don't skip this step because when you add the onions to the already hot pan and oil, they get this nice color to them and the flavor of the caramelized onions is out of this world!
Black Bean Corn Quinoa Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen sweet white corn
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In a pot with a lid, over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Cook and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often so the onions don't burn.
- Add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds or just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the quinoa, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.All the liquid should be absorbed.
- Stir in the frozen corn and black beans. Cover and let the pot sit off the heat until the corn and beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro. Serve warm or chilled.
Save this recipe and PIN IT to PINTEREST