Frozen shredded potatoes make this cheesy shredded potato casserole side dish so easy to prepare! Loaded with cheese, green onions, and sour cream. Topped with a crunchy & cheesy topping that gets crispy while cooking.
Some may know these as 'funeral potatoes'. I think they were nicknamed that because it's an easy dish that feeds a crowd (like at a funeral luncheon or something). That's what I am assuming anyways. No matter what you call this dish, I think everyone can agree that it's so delicious.
I love that the base of this casserole are frozen shredded potatoes (aka- shredded hash browns). Then you just mix up an easy creamy sauce with some cheese and green onion, and then combine it all together and let it bake away. The potatoes get soft, the topping gets crispy & crunchy, and it's so creamy. Thanks to the sour cream!
This recipe calls for one small bunch of green onions. Please don't skip this! I know onions are usually one of those foods that people either really love or really hate. But they add tons of flavor to this dish. Even my kids ate this with no problems and they usually try to dissect and pick apart their food to find the onions.
I know lots of people may be tempted to use light sour cream but I would highly suggest that you use the full-fat sour cream. It just tastes so much better.
I always make this dish for Holiday dinners because it's one of our must haves. It's so good served with ham at Easter dinner, or even great as a potato side dish at Thanksgiving. Especially for those that don't care for mashed potatoes (me!).
It is easy enough that I usually will make it for a side dish to a nice Sunday dinner or something like that.
I hope you love this one! Thanks for being here.
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole
- 1 bag (30 oz) frozen shredded potatoes thawed
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ¾ cup crushed cornflakes
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the shredded potatoes and 1 cup of cheese. Stir until combined.
- In a small bowl combine the green onion, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and melted butter. Mix together. Pour over the bowl of shredded potatoes and mix together until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and the crushed cornflakes.
- Spread the potato mixture into the baking dish. Top with the corn flake mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.