HOMEMADE GRANOLA RECIPE
I have been making this homemade granola recipe that uses coconut oil, almonds, and whole grain oats for years now. The taste is amazing and even my kids love to eat this granola over some yogurt.
If you're a fan of coconut oil and almonds then I know you will love this granola. Only a few simple ingredients that you *may* even have in your pantry right now!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR HOMEMADE GRANOLA WITH COCONUT OIL
Old-Fashioned Oats - These are the regular, whole grain oats. NOT the quick oats that cook in 1 minute. I am sure you could substitute with the quick oats, but the texture of the whole grain oats is best for granola.
Sliced Almonds - For this homemade granola you will blend up half of the sliced almonds to get really fine crumbs. The other half will stay the sliced almonds. Having the whole sliced almonds and some crushed almonds gives a lot of texture to this granola.
Salt & Brown Sugar - Feel free to use a brown sugar substitute if that's part of your diet. I have only ever used the real brown sugar but I know there are lots of options out there.
Coconut Oil & Honey - These form the glaze that coats the granola. Coconut oil comes in a semi-hard form in the jar so you will want to measure it out and then melt it in the microwave with the honey before pouring it over the granola.
Vanilla Extract & Coconut Extract - Don't leave these out or use all of one kind. I always have coconut extract on hand as well, so I always add some in. The almond and vanilla extracts add so much flavor so please use them! It is worth buying almond extract just for this granola recipe. Trust me!
HOW TO SERVE HOMEMADE GRANOLA
- My kids love to top some yogurt with this coconut almond granola.
- You can serve it with some milk and eat like cereal. Milk + granola for a yummy, healthier cereal.
- Make fresh fruit bowls and use this granola as a topping.
- Eat it as a snack with a spoon or use your hands!
- I love to top my oatmeal bowl with some granola in the morning. Cook some oatmeal, top with a scoop of Greek yogurt, drizzle of honey, and some of this homemade granola.
- It's also great as a mix-in for trail mixes or snack mixes.
TRY THESE OTHER COCONUT OIL RECIPES
- coconut oil chocolate chip cookies
- coconut oil peanut butter cookies
- dark chocolate coconut oil brownies
Homemade Coconut Almond Granola
- 3 cups whole grain old-fashioned oats (NOT quick 1-minute oats)
- 1 cup sliced almonds divided
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with sides with parchment paper, tin foil, or just lightly spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Add 1/2 cup of the sliced almonds into a food processor or food chopper (or use a cutting board and knife if that's all you have) and chop/pulse until fine crumbs form.
- In a mixing bowl combine the whole grain oats, the ground up almonds, 1/2 cup of sliced almonds, brown sugar, and salt. Stir with a whisk to break up any clumps.
- In a microwaveable bowl add the honey and coconut oil. Cook in the microwave for 1 minute or until the coconut oil is melted. Add the vanilla extract and almond extract and stir to combine.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oats and stir together until everything is coated. Evenly spread onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Stir mixture and then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Let the granola cool on the cookie sheet for 20-30 minutes (without stirring it). Break up the granola into pieces and store in a covered container at room temperature.