CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
You are in the right place if you're looking for the best, fail-proof classic chocolate chip cookie recipe! You know when you have that one recipe that you make all the time when you want something?
This chocolate chip cookie recipe and these homemade brownies are the only ones I make when I really need brownies or chocolate chip cookies.
I've never had a batch turn out bad and it's a tried & true recipe that I am hoping you will love like we do.
HOW TO MAKE SOFT, CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
All you need is one bowl and a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) plus some simple pantry ingredients. No chilling time required!
Salted Butter - The key to this recipe is the half melted/half soft butter. Microwave the butter for 42 seconds. I have found that this is the perfect time. It's not too hot and the butter is almost melted with some soft butter chunks.
Light Brown Sugar
Milk Chocolate Chips
TIPS FOR THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Use salted butter for best taste! If all you have us unsalted then you may want to add additional salt to the recipe. Although, I never buy unsalted butter as I think salted butter makes baked goods taste so much better.
- Make sure you take the time to roll the dough balls into round, smooth balls before placing on the cookie sheet. By rolling the dough into a ball it yields a smooth and more uniform shaped cookie. If not, the cookie will be odd shaped and not that pretty round cookie shape.
- You don't want to over beat egg into the dough. Only beat for about 15 seconds or just until it's all combined.
- You do want to beat the butter and sugars for at least 1 minute. You want the dough to be lighter in color, pale, and fluffy looking. 1-2 minutes is the ideal time for beating the butter and sugars together.
- When you pull the cookies out of the oven they should look pale and puffy. Not browned at all!
- I know it's a long time when you have warm chocolate chip cookies within sight but please allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes. As they cool, they set up and become these glorious and thick chocolate chip cookies. They do cook slightly more when cooling so that's why it's so important to not overcook.
- For a fun and easy family dessert serve a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream over one of the cookies! It's like a chocolate chip cookie sundae and it's so good and our favorite easy dessert to have on the weekends.
TRY THESE OTHER FAMILY FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPES
- peanut butter surprise cookies
- bakery style chocolate chip cookies
- triple peanut butter monster cookies
- (no egg) cream cheese chocolate chip cookies
- boyfriend cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°. Prepare two cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper, silpat liner, or spray lightly with cooking spray. I prefer parchment paper.
- Unwrap butter and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 42 seconds. Butter should be half melted/half soft chunk.
- In a mixing bowl, or use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the microwaved butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat until creamy, fluffy looking, and pale in color. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat just until combined, no longer than 15 seconds. You don't want to over beat the egg into the cookie dough.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat together on low speed just until combined. At this point you can take clean hands and feel the dough, it should be super soft and form a soft ball.
- Add the milk chocolate chips and mix together with your hands. Or you can use a wooden spoon or spatula of some sort. I love using my hands because then you just barely mix in the chocolate chips without over mixing, and you can make sure the dough is super soft and the right texture.
- Take about 2-3 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. The dough balls should look like the size of a golf ball. Place 9 cookies on the first sheet and 6 cookies on the other cookie sheet.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 8-10 minutes.
- I have never baked my cookies for more than 8 minutes. The cookies should look very pale and puffy. You don't want the cookies to have any golden brown color on them. Take them out of the oven and let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight & covered container at room temperature for several days.
recipe adapted from my perfect chocolate chip cookies & Pinch of Yum
*comes on to your website thinking, ‘I hope that lady who made the perfect giant cookie has a regular cookie recipe too because my fat pregnant quarantine ass can’t keep eating those giant ones’*
And here we are. I have high hopes. Can’t wait to try.
I was looking for a recipe that made a thicker cookie and these came out perfect. Other recipes chilled the dough but tonight I just wanted a quick recipe. Love the tip to mix the chips in with your hands, worked easily without over mixing. Quick, simple and very tasty, thank you!