One of my favorite meals is some warm soup and breadsticks. This breadsticks recipe is our favorite because they are basically fail-proof, simple to make, and my kids love the long twisty breadsticks.
I have always had trouble with yeast bread recipes, which is why I only have a few on this site, so if I am posting one then you know it's got to be easy if even I can do it 🙂
Try these easy breadsticks and let me know what you think.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE QUICK & EASY BREADSTICKS
Hot Water - I just turn the tap water all the way to hot and use that water. Lots of recipes just say 'warm water' but I have found that it's not hot enough to activate the yeast.
Active Dry Yeast - This is not the quick-rise yeast. It's just regular active yeast.
Grated Parmesan Cheese - Nothing fancy here, just the cheap stuff from the can. It works best I think.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BREADSTICKS
I find that it is easiest to use my KitchenAid stand mixer when I am making dough and bread. You can also use a large mixing bowl and a wooden spoon to make these breadsticks as well. Although, it's much easier with a stand mixer.
- Add the yeast + sugar into the bowl of the stand mixer. Pour the hot water over and use a whisk to mix it together.
- Let it sit for 5 MINUTES. Your mixture should be frothy on top after the 5 minutes. If it is not, then you need to start over again. It usually means the water was not hot enough and/or the yeast you used is old and expired.
- Add the flour and salt into the bowl.
- Use the dough paddle attachment and mix it together on low speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. See pictures for reference. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Use the cookie sheet as a guide for size. You want it about that same size.
- Spread melted butter + garlic over the breadsticks.
- Fold the rectangle in half.
- Use a pizza cutter (easiest way) to cut the dough into 1" breadstick pieces.
- Twist each breadstick and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Let rest and raise for 15 minutes.
- Cook the breadsticks.
- Brush the warm breadsticks with butter, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese.
MY TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR MAKING THIS BREADSTICKS RECIPE
- If your yeast + sugar + water mixture is not frothy and bubbly at the end of the 5 minutes then you need to start again. This means that the yeast has not activated yet.
- Turn the tap water all the way to hot and use that water.
- Feel free to top these with whatever you want to! Add some basil, more garlic, oregano, or leave them plain. There is no wrong way to top them.
WHAT DO I SERVE BREADSTICKS WITH?
Chicken Pot Pie Soup - A creamy soup with hearty vegetables, chunks of chicken, in a perfectly seasoned creamy broth base.
Tomato Hamburger Vegetable Soup - This one always gets 5 star reviews by you! So hearty, warm, comforting, and prefect with some breadsticks.
Or make some alfredo sauce and use jarred marinara sauce as a dip for these breadsticks.
Easy Breadsticks Recipe
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast NOT quick rise yeast
- 1½ cups hot water
- 3 - 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Add sugar and yeast to the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour the hot water over it and use a whisk to stir it together. Let it sit for 5 minutes. * Mixture should be very puffy and frothy looking on top after the 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of flour and the salt to the yeast mixture. Use the dough hook to mix it together. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and form a slightly tacky ball. If needed, use the additional ½ cup flour as needed.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let raise for 10 minutes.
- Spray countertop with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 12"x18" rectangle. The size of the cookie sheet.
- Combine melted butter and garlic into a small bowl and brush it evenly over the dough.
- Fold the dough in half. Use a pizza cutter to cut 1-inch strips. Twist each strip and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Let the breadsticks rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400° while the breadsticks are resting.
- Cook for 13-18 minutes.
- Combine the melted butter, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning. Brush it over the warm cooked breadsticks. Serve!