Burrito Lasagna is a tried & true family favorite! This ground beef burrito lasagna is simple to make with minimal ingredients. Layers of seasoned ground beef, Spanish rice, cheese, refried beans, and lots of cheese.
BURRITO LASAGNA WITH GROUND BEEF
Ground beef recipes are one of my family’s favorite meals.
It’s something we can all agree on which means that this burrito lasagna made with seasoned lean ground beef, refried beans, rice, and cheese is always a hit.
I love lasagna, casseroles, and all those one pan dinners but get slightly annoyed when it does not cut into pieces.
You know what I am talking about? When the casserole or the lasagna is just a mess and you basically have to scoop it up with a spoon. Well friends, this lasagna cuts perfectly!
Maybe I am the only weird one that finds happiness in perfect cuts, haha 🙂 Regardless, it cooks up perfectly and even better is that it serves really nicely too.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE BURRITO LASAGNA
- lean ground beef (I use 93/7)
- 2 cans of enchilada sauce
- packet of taco seasoning
- cumin and garlic powder
- microwave minute Mexican Rice (Uncle Ben’s is the brand)
- 8″-9″ flour tortillas
- shredded cheese
- canned refried beans
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- You can substitute homemade versions of the taco seasoning packet, refried beans, enchilada sauce, and rice if wanted. It won’t be a quick or an easy recipe if you do that 🙂
- The recipe states to let the lasagna sit for 10 minutes before serving. You need to do this! This is what allows the lasagna to come together nicely and it makes easy to cut into squares so it serves pretty.
- If you have leftover rice it can be used in place of the microwave minute rice.
- Uncle Ben’s is the only brand I have found of the 90 second Mexican rice. This post is not sponsored by them it’s just the only brand that makes it in that certain size.
- The low carb tortillas are actually really good and go great in this recipe.
- Remember to serve with sour cream, avocado slices, olives, chopped tomato, and/or cilantro
- I prefer using 1 can of red enchilada sauce + 1 can of green enchilada sauce. I think it tastes the best with both, but if you can’t find both or don’t want one of each just use 2 cans of whatever enchilada sauce you want.
TRY THESE OTHER LASAGNA RECIPES
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (I use 93/7)
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilda sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 1 packet taco seasoning (I use mild)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (8.8 oz) Uncle Ben's Mexican ready rice
- 9 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 3-4 cups shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, brown and crumble the ground beef. When ground beef is no longer pink, drain the grease. Add the cans of enchilada sauce, packet of taco seasoning, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir together to combine.
*I leave the meat mixture to simmer on the stove, on low heat, while I prepare the rest.
Cook rice according to package directions (should be 90 seconds in the microwave). Spread a heaping tablespoon of the refried beans onto one side of each tortilla. I just use a large silverware spoon to do this. No need to measure.
Spread 1 cup of the ground beef mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Layer with 3 flour tortillas (You will have to cut the third tortilla in half to fit it along the side of the pan), then 1/3 of the rice, 1/3 of the meat mixture, and 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
Repeat these layers (tortillas, rice, meat, then cheese) two more times but don't put the last shredded cheese layer on top. Save it for later.
Cover baking dish with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Take off foil and sprinkle the reserved shredded cheese on top. Cook for 10 more minutes.
Let sit and rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with all your favorite taco toppings!
I always use the mild version of the enchilada sauce. If you want more spice & heat then get the medium or hot. I prefer using one green and one red enchilada sauce but you can easily use two of the same.
The Uncle Ben's ready rice cooks in the microwave for 90 seconds and it comes in a pouch looking thing. It's made specifically by that brand so check the rice aisle for it.
Use any kind of cheese you want. It's best if you shred it yourself so it melts better but you can use pre-shredded. I always use the Colby- Jack cheese.
Depending on how much cheese you want use between 3 and 4 cups. I use closer to 3 cups when I make this recipe.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
recipe adapted from Taste of Home