Tender egg noodles, melty cheese, and a creamy tomato ground beef mixture make for one amazing, and family-friendly dinner! The entire family will love this simple and easy dish.
Do you have a go-to dinner? You know, a dinner that you can make and you know everyone will love it and it will turn out delicious each time….. well, this is mine!
It’s seriously so yummy and best of all, really easy! I love trying new recipes and I remember when I first made this about a year or so ago, I did not have high expectations for it. I was not too familiar with egg noodles and the recipe did not seem like it would have much flavor. But, I found out real fast that I was wrong. It is good. And, my favorite part is that my kids will eat it with no whining, no asking every 2 seconds “how many more bites do I have to eat?”, and this is one of those dishes that they won’t “disect” for 10 minutes before they take one small bite of it.
Do your kids “disect” their food. I always wonder what they think they will find……. I guess I can’t complain because I may or may not do the same thing with my meat. Actually, now that I say that, it was probably me who taught them that it’s ok to pick apart their food and look for any “bad parts”.
I always cook the egg noodles for 1 minute less than what the package calls for. They will cook slightly more when they bake in the oven.
For best results, don't use low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese or sour cream. Obviously you could to save calories, but taste wise and texture, the dish will suffer.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 container (16 oz) cottage cheese
- 2 cups grated cheese, I always use Colby Jack
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink. Drain any excess fat.
- Add in the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and onion powder into the meat and let simmer on low while you prepare the rest.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions [don't forget to salt the water!]
- In large bowl, mix together the sour cream and the cottage cheese.
- Drain the noodles and pour them into the mixing bowl with the sour cream and cottage cheese. Stir to coat all the noodles.
- In a 9x13 sprayed with cooking spray. Start with half the egg noodle mixture, top with half the ground beef mixture, and then half the shredded cheese. Repeat.
- Bake for 20 minutes
Sometimes when I make this I will divide it into two 8×8 pans (instead of one big 9×13), cook one right away for dinner and then I will cover the other with aluminum foil and put in the fridge for another night. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Just bake as directed.
This is my #1 most USED and MUST HAVE kitchen item! It makes chopping up ground meats so easy.
Enjoy your Sunday!
recipe adapted from here