Fresh broccoli, bacon, craisins, almonds, red onion, and mandarin oranges covered in a silky delicious homemade sauce. This is hands down my favorite salad ever!
After posting 12 sweet treats in a row I am soooooo ready for a detox 🙂
This bacon & mandarin broccoli salad is the perfect thing to help with that. I am not kidding you when I say that this is the dish that I crave. Usually you crave chocolate, pie, donuts, caramel…… but for me, it’s this broccoli salad.
The mixture of ingredients just works. The homemade dressing is just the cherry on top. I made this salad for Thanksgiving and then I made again the other night for a church Christmas party we went to.
Traditionally a broccoli salad just has plain mayo as the dressing, but this one has a homemade dressing that is really delicious. Be careful when you are cooking it because it does have eggs in it and if your stove burner is too high you will end up with scrambled egg chunks. It will take several minutes for it to thicken and I am always tempted to be inpatient and turn up the heat, but don’t do it….. I did it one time and ended up with scrambled eggs and had to start over 🙂
TIP : make the dressing first because it does have to cool, so while it’s cooling cover a cookie sheet with tin foil (double layer) place your bacon strips on it and then put in a cold oven and turn the oven to 400 degrees and let the bacon cook for 20-25 minutes—> depending on desired crispiness. Which for this salad you do want it crispy. Then while the bacon is cooking chop all your vegetables and get your salad mixed together. By the time the bacon and salad is done, the sauce will have cooled and you can mix it all together!
I can only ever find the 15 oz can or the 8.25 oz can mandarin oranges. I either use less and go with the smaller can or use the 15 oz can and have more mandarin oranges in the salad or just don't use the entire can. If the mandarin oranges are large I cut in half.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons white wine or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or mayonnaise
- 5 cups chopped broccoli
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 can (10 oz) mandarin oranges, drained very well
- For the dressing: combine the eggs, cornstarch, vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard, and water together in a medium saucepan. Whisk well. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it bubbles and thickens - it should be the consistency of pudding (take care not to heat too high or stop whisking or there might be small bits of cooked egg in the mixture).
- Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes. Stir in the yogurt or mayonnaise and let cool completely.
- To make salad: toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir in the dressing and toss lightly until all the ingredients are covered with dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours before serving. It's also really good right after it's made but the flavors blend together as it sits in the fridge.
Thanks for stopping by and visiting 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful day!
recipe from here