This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice is an easy dinner recipe that is made in one pot on the stove. With only 6 simple ingredients like chicken, broccoli, rice, chicken broth, and cheddar cheese it can be on the table in just 30 minutes.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Recipe
This one pot cheesy chicken broccoli rice is one of my family’s favorite quick & easy dinners! Simple to make with easy ingredients, and it’s very kid-friendly too! Very mild in flavor and full of melted cheddar cheese.
This dinner can be done and on the table in about 25 minutes so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight.
What You’ll Need
You only need 6 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) to make this one pot dinner recipe. Most of the ingredients are easy to keep on hand too.
- Olive Oil – I use extra light tasting virgin olive oil. Regular olive oil can have a very heavy flavor so I always stick to the lighter stuff.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – You need 3 chicken breasts for this recipe. If they are very large, then only use 2.
- Salt & Pepper
- Rice – Use a long grain rice like basmati rice or long grain rice. I always use basmati rice because I think it turns out the best but regular long grain rice works too.
- Chicken Broth – It’s best to use regular, full-salt chicken broth for the best flavor but lower sodium chicken broth works as well if that’s what you prefer.
- Frozen Broccoli – Use microwaveable steamable broccoli. Cook in the microwave according to package directions and then chop up smaller if wanted.
- Cheddar Cheese
How To Make One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
Making this dinner recipe is very simple. With only a few minutes prep time most of the “work” is done while everything simmers together in the pot.
Cook Chicken : Add olive oil, chicken chunks, salt and pepper onto the skillet pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside. It should be mostly done in the middle but no need to temp it as it will cook all the way while it’s simmering with the rice and broth.
Add Rice and Chicken Broth : Add the uncooked rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover with lid, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Broccoli and Cheese : Cook the microwave broccoli according to package instructions and chop up smaller if wanted. Shred the cheddar cheese. Add both of these into the cooked rice and chicken, and stir to combine all the cheesy goodness together. You can either add all the cheese at once OR add half when you stir in the broccoli and then the other half just sprinkle on top and let it melt.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my easy tips that will hopefully help you make this recipe at home.
- Shred Your Own Cheese : My #1 tip for this recipe. Shredding the cheese from a block results in a smoother melted cheese. The shredded bagged cheese has a coating on it, which makes it not melt as smoothly when added to something.
- Use Microwave Steamable Frozen Broccoli : To make this recipe really quick to make, buy a bag of the frozen microwaveable broccoli. It cooks in the time that the rice is simmering and it requires no extra dishes or bowls.
- Cut The Chicken Into Small Pieces : Be sure and cut the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. This way the chicken will cook in just a few minutes and then be small enough to finish cooking while the rice and chicken broth is boiling/simmering.
- Don’t Use Brown Rice : Brown rice needs more water and more simmering time, which can make the chicken overcooked and possibly lead to a watery skillet meal.
- Chicken Broth : For best flavor use the full-salt regular chicken broth. Yes, you could use low-sodium but you may need to add additional salt or other seasoning to the recipe.
There are a few ways to change up this recipe if wanted.
- Make It Spicy! : Use shredded pepper jack cheese. Add some chili powder or cayenne pepper in with the salt & pepper.
- Cheese : Add more or less cheese deepening on preference. Use any cheese you want to make it spicy or change the flavor slightly.
- Seasonings : We love this dish as is with the mild cheesy flavor but it can be adapted to what you prefer. Add additional seasonings with the salt & pepper like garlic powder or onion powder. Add a finely diced onion in with the chicken while it cooks. Add fresh garlic.
What Kind of Rice Do I Use?
Use a long grain rice for this recipe. I prefer to use basmati rice (which is an extra long grain rice) but you can use regular long grain rice as well.
I would not use brown rice or minute rice as they both have very different cooking instructions and water needs than what this recipe has.
What Kind of Cheese Is Best?
I think cheddar cheese is the best cheese to use for this one pot cheesy chicken broccoli rice. Cheddar cheese provides the best flavor but any cheese you prefer can be used.
I often use Colby Jack cheese or Pepper Jack cheese if you want some spice.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen!
Freeze in freezer safe Ziploc bags or containers for up to 3-4 months.
When ready to eat, thaw in fridge or add frozen contents into a pot (with a little water or broth) and heat up.
I don’t love the texture of rice once it’s frozen and then thawed so I personally don’t freeze this recipe, but it can be frozen for those who want.
More One Pot Easy Dinner Recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- Turkey Chili Mac & Cheese
- Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- Sausage Pepper & Rice Skillet
One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into small, bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice OR long-grain rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen steamable broccoli (about 2 cups chopped broccoli)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 12-inch skillet pan (make sure it has a lid) over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, chicken, salt, and pepper.Cook 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is mostly non-pink in the middle. Chicken should be white on the outside. Drain the excess liquid and oil from the chicken.
- Add rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- While rice and chicken is simmering, cook the microwaveable broccoli in the microwave following the instructions on package. Once done, chop up the broccoli into smaller pieces, if wanted.
- When rice is done cooking, add broccoli and 1 cup of the cheese into the skillet pan. Stir together. Top with the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and cover with the lid. Let cook for about 2 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.