CAKE MIX COOKIE RECIPE
Monster cookies are my family's favorite cookies! I have lots of varieties of monster cookies on the blog already and I figured it was about time to add one more version.
Because let's be real, you can never have too many monster cookie recipes. At least in my world 🙂
Monster cookies are a combination of peanut butter, oats, chocolate chips, and m&m's. It's really loaded with everything that's good in life.
With these cake mix monster cookies there is no need to measure out all the dry ingredients.
Just get yourself a box of store-bought yellow cake mix, add a few other ingredients and mix it all up in one bowl.
I love the flavor that the cake mix brings to the cookies. It's almost like a buttery cake batter flavor. Monster cookies + cake batter is pretty much perfection.
Just ask my kids. They LOVE cake batter anything!
HOW TO MAKE CAKE MIX MONSTER COOKIES
- In a mixing bowl, add the contents from a box of yellow cake mix (DO NOT prepare the cake according to the directions), butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, oats, chocolate chips, and m&m's.
- Scoop out the dough and place on a cookie sheet
- Be sure and put some extra m&m's on top of the cookies after they come out of the oven. It makes the cookies look pretty!
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- These cookies do not spread much at all while baking. When you take them out of the oven they will look like cookie balls. But as you press the m&m's on top of the cookie they will flatten and look more "cookie shaped".
- Don't let the cookie overbake! It's hard to tell when they are done because they won't get golden brown or anything like that. Mine are always perfect when I take them out at 12 minutes. As they cool on the cookie sheet I promise they will come together nicely. If you overcook them, they will be dry and chewy (but not in a good way).
- I love using the pre-cut sheets of parchment paper on my cookie sheet. You can also just spray it with cooking spray as well.
- To get a more uniform shape use a cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet. This will get you those perfectly round looking cookies.
Cake Mix Monster Cookies
- 1 box (15.25 oz) yellow cake mix (DO NOT prepare)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- ½ cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini m&m's (plus extra for top of cookies)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, brown sugar, butter, peanut butter, water, and egg. Beat with a handheld blender on medium speed until well combined.
- Add oats, chocolate chips, and mini m&m's. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out dough. They should be about the size of a golf ball. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cookies will not spread much at all.
- Press a few additional m&m's onto the tops of the cookies when they come out of the oven. As you press them on, the cookie will flatten slightly and look more like a traditional cookie shape. Let cool on cookie sheet for 15 minutes so they can come together and set up.