This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
BEAN SALAD RECIPE
I realize a bean salad may not be the most impressive dish but who doesn’t need the perfect potluck type dish to take to summer gatherings? I love this bean salad because it’s so simple to make, tastes delicious, and it’s different than the usual mayo based potato and pasta salads.
Whenever I take this to gatherings it’s usually one of the first to go and I always come back with an empty bowl. It’s the perfect combination of beans, fresh veggies, and a sweet and creamy honey mustard dressing.
HOW TO MAKE EASY BEAN SALAD
Kidney Beans – Use the dark red kidney beans or the light red kidney beans. It really does not matter. I’ve used both and the only difference is the color of the bean.
Chick Peas – These are also called Garbanzo beans which are the same thing. Some times you can only find one or the other at the stores. They have a buttery, nutty flavor and they’re so yummy in a bean salad.
Frozen Corn – I prefer to use the gold n’ white frozen corn in this recipe but any frozen corn will work just fine. Just make sure it’s the size called for in the recipe.
Red Bell Pepper
Sweet Vidalia Onion
Honey Mustard Salad Dressing – Most of the time I say don’t use lite products but I actually prefer using lite honey mustard dressing in this recipe. I have tried it with the regular, full fat dressing and it was really thick tasting when paired with the beans and crisp veggies. I always use Ken’s Steakhouse Lite Honey Mustard Dressing.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING BEAN SALAD
– The leftovers of this bean salad are fabulous! The dressing and some liquid from the veggies will pool up in the bottom of the bowl. Just take a spoon and give it a nice stir before eating and it will be fine. Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days.
– For the best presentation and texture cut all the veggies the same size. Aim to cut everything the same size as the beans so there are not large chunks of random things in the salad.
– As mentioned above, I am usually against using lite products when it comes to dairy and salad dressing but I have to say that I actually prefer the lite honey mustard dressing in this recipe.
– You do not need to cook the corn before using. Instead let the corn sit on the counter at room temperature for 1 hour before you make the salad. You want the corn to be cold but lightly thawed.
TRY THESE OTHER SALAD RECIPES
- cowboy caviar pasta salad
- ranch pasta salad
- fancy company salad
- citrus berry kale salad
- cashew chicken pasta salad
- avocado black bean salad
- fiesta avocado salad
- mango black bean quinoa salad
The Best Bean Salad
- 1 can (15 oz) light kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn thawed slightly but still cold
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 Vidalia sweet onion finely diced
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 cup lite honey mustard salad dressing
- ** Put the bag of frozen corn on the countertop, at room temperature, for 1 hour before making salad. This will allow the corn to be cold but mostly thawed.
- Combine all the beans, corn, red pepper, cucumber, and onion in a large mixing bowl. Stir together to combine. Pour honey mustard dressing over it and stir.* Use more or less salad dressing depending on preference and taste.
- For best results put the bean salad in the fridge for 4-6 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon as liquid will pool up in the bottom from the veggies and salad dressing.