This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
CHEESY TACO SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE
If you want comfort food or just something that you know your kids will eat without complaining then you must try this Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Casserole.
Pasta, ground beef, chili beans, tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and Velveeta cheese make this taco spaghetti casserole so delicious and family friendly.
I love casserole recipes because they make a big pan of food, which means leftovers, and they’re fairly inexpensive to make for a family.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY TACO SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE
Thin Spaghetti Noodles– The thin spaghetti noodles are preferred for this casserole. It will specifically say ‘thin spaghetti’ on the box. Cook according to package instructions. Remember to salt the pasta water. It’s easy to forget but it makes plain pasta taste so much better. I use about 1 teaspoon, but I never measure, I just eyeball it.
Taco Seasoning – You can use whatever packet you want (low-sodium, mild, hot) or use about 3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning.
Chili Beans – These are pinto beans in chili sauce. You will find them by the other canned beans and it will say ‘chili beans’ on the can.
Velveeta Cheese – Yes, I know, Velveeta! Eat it this one time. Please. It melts perfectly silky and smooth and really makes this casserole delicious.
Shredded Cheese– This is sprinkled on top of the casserole. Use any kind you want. I usually always use Colby Jack cheese because I buy it in the big block at Costco.
MY TIPS FOR THIS CASSEROLE RECIPE
I love to serve this with some sour cream, sliced green onions, and chopped tomato. My kids always love when they can “decorate” their own food with toppings 🙂
Let’s talk about Velveeta cheese. I am a firm believer in ‘moderation in all things’ so yes, eat the Velveeta in this recipe, and enjoy it because it’s so good. Velveeta cheese melts so smoothly compared to real cheese. Yes I know Velveeta is not necessarily real, but if you want that silky smooth cheese then use it. Technically you could use real shredded cheese, but I promise it won’t be the same.
Don’t drain the chili beans. You want that mild chili sauce that’s in the can with the beans. Chili beans are simply pinto beans in chili sauce. You can get mild or medium heat. I always use mild. The can will specifically say chili beans on it. So make sure you get the right ones.
Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Casserole
- 1 box (1 lb) thin spaghetti noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 8 oz velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- chopped tomato & green onion for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray.
- In a skillet pan, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain and return to pan.
- Add the taco seasoning and water to the beef, stir until combined together.
- Add the undrained chili beans, tomato sauce, and chunked Velveeta cheese. Stir together and let the Velveeta melt. Turn heat to low and let simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions. Remember to salt your water so your pasta has some flavor!
- Drain pasta when done and add to the taco beef mixture. Stir together and dump into the prepared baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Garnish with chopped tomato and green onion.