Detox Soup with chicken, vegetables, ginger, turmeric, and apple cider vinegar is a delicious way to eat healthy food and detox for the new year or during the busy Holiday season! Cooks up in one pot on the stove and it’s great for several days as leftovers.
DETOX SOUP RECIPE
You might be wondering what in the world detox soup is? Trust me I am too, because detox or low calories aside, this chicken detox soup is absolutely amazing and I make it often! Even my kids gobble this soup up.
Detox Soup is essentially a soup that is filled with very nutrient dense foods that are easy to digest, and therefore making it easier for your body to absorb more nutrients.
So if someone says they are on a detox soup cleanse, it probably means they are just eating lots of vegetables that have either been chopped small or blended up. That way their body can absorb the maximum nutrients, and detox soups are naturally low in fat and low in calories.
DETOX SOUP WITH CHICKEN
I love this version of detox soup because it is filled with tender and flavorful lean chicken breast chunks. I am not one of those people that can eat tons of veggies for lunch and feel satisfied until dinner.
The chicken helps you stay filling full for longer.
But, all this nutrition stuff aside. This soup is really good you guys. I make it for dinner. I make it at the beginning of the week and then store in covered containers and eat for lunch all week long.
IS DETOX SOUP HEALTHY?
I think it is! It has nutrient dense foods like broccoli, carrots, peas, lean chicken breast, and celery. It’s low in calories but it will still keep you feeling full thanks the protein in the chicken.
And then some “surprise & weird” ingredients for soup, like apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and ginger. Don’t let them scare you away. This soup does not taste like vinegar and the ginger and turmeric add incredible flavor to this detox soup.
Apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and ginger have lots of healthy benefits which makes them a great choice for this chicken detox soup.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN DETOX SOUP
- Start by chopping up all your veggies. There is quite a bit to chop so this does take time. Finely dice an onion, thinly slice carrots and celery.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, ginger, and garlic into a large soup pot with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Let cook for about 5-8 minutes to soften them slightly.
- Add chicken broth to the pot, along with the raw chicken breasts, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and salt. Bring that to a boil and then once it’s boiling, cover with a lid and reduce to medium. Let that cook for 25-30 minutes.
- While it’s cooking go ahead and chop up the broccoli and parsley, and get the peas ready.
- Take the chicken out of the soup and shred it with two forks. Add it back into the soup pot, along with the chopped broccoli, parsley, and frozen peas. Bring the soup back to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes to soften the broccoli and blend the flavors.
- Store any leftovers in covered containers in the ridge. They last for 4-5 days. I usually make this on Sunday to meal prep and I have no problem eating it through Friday. I heat the soup up in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
Detox Soup with chicken, vegetables, ginger, turmeric, and apple cider vinegar is a delicious way to eat healthy food and detox for the new year or during the busy Holiday season! Cooks up in one pot on the stove and it's great for several days as leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (I use baby carrots)
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed (I use garlic paste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (I use ginger paste)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a large soup pot (I use a 6 QT), over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 5-8 minutes, while stirring occasionally, just until barely softened and very fragrant.
Stir the chicken broth, raw chicken breasts, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and salt into the soup. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes.
(while soup is cooking go ahead and chop up the broccoli and parsley, and get the peas out)
Take the chicken out of the soup and place it on a plate. Use two forks and shred the chicken or you can use a knife and chop it. Add it back into the soup pot, along with the chopped broccoli, parsley, and frozen peas.
Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid (optional) and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until broccoli is softened.
Leftovers store great for 4-5 days in covered containers in the fridge. I heat leftovers up in the microwave for 2 minutes, or you can heat it up on the stove.
I use baby carrots for this recipe. No need to peel them and they are already small so all you have to do is slice them thin!
Turmeric is a ground spice that you will find by the other spices and seasonings in the store.
If the chicken breast are large go ahead and cut them in half before adding to the soup pot. I do this anyways, just to ensure the chicken cooks through in the cook time.
I have used the flat leaf Italian parsley as well as the other curly leaf parsley (just called parsley in the stores). Either one works fine but I prefer the curly leaf parsley.
For ease and convenience, get the tubes of garlic paste and ginger. You will find them in the produce section in the refrigerated area. You can also used jarred minced garlic as well.
TRY THESE OTHER WEIGHT LOSS AND CLEANSE SOUP RECIPES
recipe found years ago & adapted from The Spicy Perspective