This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
TEX MEX CHICKEN RECIPE IN THE SLOW COOKER
I am so in love with this tex-mex chicken! Not only is it so easy to make, a set it and forget it meal, but it’s also so simple with only 5 ingredients + normal, pantry seasonings.
For this easy slow cooker recipe you will need:
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Canned Corn
- Bell Peppers (I use a red & yellow bell pepper)
- A good quality salsa
- Simple Seasonings – cumin, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, onion powder
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY TEX-MEX CHICKEN RECIPE
- Cut the chicken breast into large, 2″-sized pieces. You don’t want the chicken much smaller than that or else it will dry it during the cook time in the crock pot.
- Put the chunked chicken into a bowl and sprinkle the seasonings over top. Gently mix it all together until each chicken piece is coated with some seasoning. Dump it into the slow cooker.
- Add a can of drained corn, 2 chopped bell peppers, and salsa in with the chicken. Give it a stir and cover with the lid. Cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours.
MY HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Use a really good quality salsa that you love. I really like the fresh salsa from Costco or Sam’s Club. If I am shopping at a grocery store I will always buy the fresh salsa that you can find in the refrigerated area of the produce section. It’s usually by the guacamole and salad dressings. You can also use jarred salsa with great results as well.
- I prefer to use the separate seasonings instead of a packet of taco seasoning. If you would rather, feel free to replace the seasonings called for in the recipe with 1 packet of taco seasoning.
- If you want some spice be sure and use a hot salsa, add some cayenne pepper, and/or add a can of diced green chilies.
- This recipe is really versatile. If you want to add some beans then go ahead and do that!
- I like to serve this chicken as rice bowls. With this cilantro lime rice as the base, some tex-mex chicken, and then all the taco toppings. I will usually make this salsa verde ranch dressing and this salsa verde guacamole as toppings.
- You can also serve this inside a quesadilla, make nachos out of it, tacos, burritos, or use it as a salad topper for a healthy lunch through out the week.
TRY THESE OTHER EASY SLOW COOKER DINNER RECIPES
- creamy fiesta chicken
- chicken enchilada soup
- beef stew
- southwest chicken chili
- queso chicken tacos
- crock pot turkey sloppy joes
- slow cooker chicken alfredo
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 lbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz) corn drained
- 2 sweet bell peppers chopped small
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- Spray the insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Cut chicken breasts into large bite-sized pieces and put into a mixing bowl. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin and salt. Mix together until chicken is coated. Dump into the slow cooker.
- Add can of drained corn, 2 bell peppers that are chopped small, and salsa. Stir together and cover with the lid.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.
- Stir the chicken mixture and serve as desired. We love this as tex-mex chicken rice bowls. Layer rice, tex-mex chicken, and your favorite toppings. You can also make tacos, burritos, or even nachos! So many options.