This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
These crunchy and sweet Candied Nuts are oven toasted pecans and almonds with a sugar glaze and a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Your house will smell amazing with the wonderful aroma of caramelized nuts, cinnamon, and sugar – just like the holidays!
Easy Candied Pecans and Almonds Recipe
These sweet, salty, roasted, and crunchy Candied Pecans are an easy grab & go snack for your next holiday party! They also make a great gift for neighbors, friends, and family. Simple to make with only 8 easy ingredients like an egg white, dried seasonings, and raw nuts like almonds and pecans.
Learn how to make homemade roasted candied nuts using this easy recipe that uses a couple mixing bowls, the oven, and a baking sheet.
Simple Ingredients Needed (Full Recipe Card Below)
- Pecan Halves
- Whole Almonds
- Large Egg White : We want just the egg white for the candied nuts recipe. Discard the egg yolk.The egg whites is what helps the sugar mixture adhere to the nuts so it can crystallize while baking in the oven.
- Vanilla Extract : For the best pure vanilla flavor I always recommend using pure vanilla extract when baking.
- Dark Brown Sugar : Light brown sugar is a suitable substitute, although the nuts might be lighter in color. Dark brown sugar has more molasses in it so it provides a darker color and deeper, richer flavor.
- Granulated White Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Nutmeg : If you don’t like nutmeg then just use additional ground cinnamon in its place.
How To Make Candied Nuts Recipe (Oven Method)
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. I do not recommend using parchment paper or tin foil to line the prepared baking sheet with, just spray it lightly.
Mix the pecan halves and whole almonds in a large bowl until combined.
Using either a stand mixer or a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat the egg white and vanilla extract until thick and bubble. About 2-3 minutes on medium to medium-high speed.
Gently pour the egg white mixture over top the mixed nuts in the bowl and stir together until all the nuts are well coated.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.
Pour the sugar coating over top the nuts and mix gently until all the nuts are well coated.
Spread the nuts into a single layer on the prepare baking sheet using a rubber spatula.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring the nuts well every 10 minutes, and until the nuts are dry and the sugar is crystallized.
Remove the nuts from the oven and let the nuts cool until cooled to room temperature before serving.
Can I Use A Different Type of Nut?
Yes you can substitute with any preferred nut that you like – peanuts, walnuts, or cashews are all great choices. Make sure the nuts are shelled and don’t have any extra flavors on them. You want to use roasted nuts.
What Is The Difference Between Glazed Nuts and Candied Nuts?
This recipe is for candied nuts which means that they are made by coating nuts with a sugar syrup mixture that crystallizes as it cools. Candied nuts have a crunchy, sugary exterior and a sweet toasted nut flavor. They can be used in various dishes such as a salad or as a sweet snack to munch on.
Glazed nuts are made by cooking nuts in a syrup that only partially crystallizes. The syrup in glazed nuts remains sticky and glossy. A glazed nut recipe yield nuts that are shinier in appearance and a moister, chewier texture than candied nuts. They are often used as a topping for ice cream, cakes, or pastries.
These sweet & salty candied nuts make for a great holiday gift for friends, neighbors, and family. Here are some ideas for how to gift this edible holiday gift.
- Place some nuts inside clear gift bags and tie it off with a cute Christmas themed ribbon.
- Put the nuts inside glass mason jars and wrap ribbon around the jar and place a bow on top.
- Buy Christmas themed candy tins, line it with some Christmas themed paper sheets, and fill it it with some candied nuts inside.
- How To Store Leftovers : Keep leftover nuts inside an airtight container, at room temperature, for 1-2 weeks. Make sure the bag or container is airtight to prevent any moisture from getting in, which will cause the nuts to become sticky.
- Baking Sheet Tips : Do not use parchment paper or tin foil to line the baking sheet with. Most of the time, I always say to line a baking sheet with parchment paper, but not this recipe! The candied nuts will stick to the parchment paper (or foil) and it will be a big mess. Just spray the baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and you’re good to go.
- Use A Rimmed Baking Sheet : Make sure you are using a baking sheet (cookie sheet) that is rimmed.
- Make a Double Batch : This recipe can easily be doubled if you’re needing more servings. Simply double every ingredient amount and use two baking sheets to bake the nuts on.
- Add a Pinch of Salt : If you prefer more of that sweet & salty flavor then add a pinch of salt – like sea salt or kosher salt – in with the cinnamon sugar mixture that you coat the nuts with (after you’ve mixed in the egg white).
- Extract : Use almond extract or maple extract for a different flavor profile. Or use half vanilla extract + half almond/maple extract.
More Recipes With Nuts
- Easy Banana Nut Muffins
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Bars
- Pecan Cream Pie
- Pecan Tassies
- Rolo Pretzel Turtles
- 3 cups unsalted pecan halves
- 1 cup unsalted whole almonds
- 1 large egg white (discard the yolk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 275℉. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.* I do not recommend using parchment paper or tin foil to line the prepared baking sheet with, just spray it lightly.
- Mix the pecan halves and whole almonds in a large bowl until combined.3 cups unsalted pecan halves, 1 cup unsalted whole almonds
- Using either a stand mixer or a mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, and beat the egg white and vanilla extract until thicker and bubbly. About 2-3 minutes on medium to medium-high speed.1 large egg white, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gently pour the egg white mixture over top the mixed nuts in the bowl and stir together until all the nuts are well coated.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pour the sugar coating over top the nuts and mix gently until all the nuts are well coated.
- Spread the nuts into a single layer on the prepare baking sheet using a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, and until the nuts are dry and the sugar is crystallized.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and let cool to room temperature before serving.