This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Mini Antipasto Skewers with tortellini are a delicious appetizer and make the for the most perfect party appetizer for any gathering. Easy to make and even easier to eat; these appetizer skewers are always a hit!
Mini Antipasto Skewers Appetizer Recipe
This antipasto skewer recipe with tortellini is everything you love about classic antipasto salad but in an easy to eat skewer that’s always a favorite finger food and makes for the perfect party food for any gathering or celebration; bridal showers, add it to a charcuterie board, holiday season gatherings, a yummy cheese board addition, or make it for a gameday snack.
Individual mini wooden skewers loaded with delicious ingredients like slices of salami, fresh leaf of basil, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and pepperoni with marinated cheese tortellini and fresh mozzarella pearls.
Ingredients Needed To Make Antipasto Kabobs
- Cheese Tortellini
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil : I prefer using the ‘light tasting’ EVOO.
- Red Wine Vinegar : Balsamic vinegar is a great substitute if wanted. You could even add a balsamic drizzle to the skewers before serving them.
- Onion Powder, Sugar, Kosher Salt, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Basil, & Pepper : The dried seasonings needed for the appetizer skewers.
- Plain Mozzarella Balls : Sometimes also called mozzarella pearls, they are simply fresh mozzarella balls that come in a package. No need to buy the marinated ones as we are making our own easy marinade for the skewers.
- Cherry Tomatoes : Grape tomatoes can also be used if wanted. I prefer the taste and round shape of the cherry tomatoes.
- Green & Black Olives : Green olives or black olives are the traditional ones to use but you can also use kalamata olives or your favorite type of olive.
- Fresh Basil Leaves : Fresh herbs are a great way to infuse tons of flavor and pretty green color.
- Artichoke Hearts : Canned artichoke hearts is what the skewers need. Make sure to drain them well before placing them onto the wooden skewers.
- Bamboo Wooden Skewers : A 6-inch skewer is the perfect size for these mini antipasto skewers.
How To Make Easy Antipasto Skewers (Recipe Card Below)
First, let’s prepare the cheese tortellini according to the package directions. Drain and rinse the cooked tortellini under cold water when done. Place it inside an airtight container and chill in the fridge until it’s time to assemble the skewers. The tortellini needs to be chilled and completely cooled down before making the skewers. Plan on making the tortellini ahead of time so it has at least 1 hour to refrigerate.
Let’s prepare the marinade and dressing for the skewers. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and dried seasonings until combined. Set aside for later when you assemble the skewers. It’s ok to make this right before you assemble the skewers as there is no need for fridge time for the marinade.
Place the chilled tortellini inside a mixing bowl along with the mozzarella balls. Add the dressing and marinade into the bowl and combine gently to coat the tortellini and mozzarella balls in the marinade.
Gather all your ingredients and create an ‘assembly line’ with everything.
Grab a skewer and layer in this order; cherry tomato, tortellini, basil leaf, salami, artichoke heart, green olive, fresh mozzarella ball, green olive, pepperoni, and end with a black olive.
Place the assembled skewers onto a serving platter or plate and enjoy!
Can I Make Any Substitutions?
Yes! There are a few substitutions that can be made for these delicious antipasto skewers. Here are a few ideas to get you started with any changes or variations you might want to make.
- Use mozzarella cubes instead of mozzarella balls. Although for ease I always recommend using the mozzarella balls because they come ready-to-use, where the cubes would have to be cut from a block of mozzarella cheese.
- Substitute prosciutto or another Italian meat of choice for the salami and/or pepperoni. Or use any cured meat you prefer!
- Make it vegetarian by simply omitting the meat entirely or try cooking more tortellini and replace the meats with another cheese tortellini piece.
- For a really easy marinade try using Italian dressing and some Italian seasoning instead of making your own. Mix about 1.5 cups of Italian salad dressing along with 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried Italian seasoning. Use that to marinate the tortellini and mozzarella balls in. I love the fresh ingredients of the homemade marinade but this is an easy way to get the same flavors without all the measurements and ingredients.
How To Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers, place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Marinade For Tortellini & Mozzarella
- 15 cheese tortellini
- 15 fresh mozzarella balls (also called mozzarella pearls)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 15 green olives
- 15 black olives
- 15 slices pepperoni
- 15 slices salami
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- 15 artichoke hearts (from a can)
- Tortellini : Prepare the cheese tortellini according to the package directions. Drain and rinse the cooked tortellini under cold water when done. Place it inside an airtight container and chill in the fridge until it's time to assemble the skewers. The tortellini needs to be chilled and completely cooled down before making the skewers. Plan on making the tortellini ahead of time so it has at least 1 hour to refrigerate.15 cheese tortellini
- Marinade : In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and dried seasonings until combined. Set aside for later when you assemble the skewers. It's ok to make this right before you assemble the skewers as there is no need for fridge time for the marinade.1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chilled tortellini from the fridge and mozzarella balls inside the marinade. Combine gently to coat the tortellini and mozzarella balls in the marinade.15 fresh mozzarella balls
- Gather all your antipasto skewer ingredients and create an 'assembly line' with everything.15 cherry tomatoes, 15 green olives, 15 black olives, 15 slices pepperoni, 15 slices salami, 15 fresh basil leaves, 15 artichoke hearts
- Grab a skewer and layer in this order; cherry tomato, tortellini, basil leaf, salami, artichoke heart, green olive, fresh mozzarella ball, green olive, pepperoni, and end with a black olive.
- Place the skewers onto a serving plate and enjoy! If wanted, lightly brush some remaining marinade over the skewers.