This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
BBQ Sausage is an easy appetizer idea for any gathering, party, or gameday! Quick and easy to make with only 4 easy ingredients – smoked sausage, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and mustard. Serve with toothpicks for the best finger food.
Quick Easy BBQ Sausage Bites Recipe
If you’re looking for a quick & easy prep appetizer or finger food – then these BBQ sausage bites are exactly what you need.
Only 4 easy ingredients that get dumped into one pan and baked in the oven. The oven chars the outside of the smoked sausage pieces making them taste so yummy and straight from the grill. I love serving this pan of BBQ sausage alongside toothpicks so everyone can help themselves. Trust me, they never last long!
Ingredients Needed To Make Sausage Bites with Barbecue Sauce & Smoked Sausage
- Smoked Sausage – These are the precooked sausage rolls (shaped in a U-shape) that you will find alongside the hot dogs and other lunch type meats.
- Barbecue Sauce – Use your favorite! Anything goes here – hot & spicy, sweet brown sugar, honey, etc.
- Brown Sugar
- Dijon Mustard
How To Make This Easy BBQ Sausage Appetizer (Printable Recipe Card Below)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the sliced smoked sausage, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and dijon mustard into the baking dish. Stir together until combined.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring a few times during the cook time, until the sauce is bubbly, darker in color, and thickened.
How Do I Keep Them Warm For a Party?
I recommend making them in the oven for the best results. After the cook time, remove the contents from the baking dish, all the sauce and sausage bites, into a slow cooker. Set the heat to WARM and they will keep for several hours. You may want to add some water (just a little bit) and/or some extra BBQ sauce to ensure that the sausages don’t dry out while staying on warm.
Serving Suggestions For Sausage Bites
We love these served as an appetizer alongside some toothpicks for easy picking and eating. They are also really good served as a main dish alongside some Instant Pot Mac and Cheese or my Copycat Chick-Fil-A Mac and Cheese for dinner, or serve them as a side dish for any gathering or potluck for a hearty and delicious side.
Substitution & Variation Ideas
Although this recipe is so easy and delicious on its own – there are a few ways to switch it up if wanted. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Smoked Sausage : Use any variety of smoked sausage. I have seen cheddar, jalapeno cheddar, beef smoked sausage, classic smoked sausage, turkey, cuban style, etc. You can use the kind that comes in a pack (like a hot dog pack) or use the ones that come in the U-shape packaging. Either one works, just make sure to slice them!
- Use Little Smokies Instead : To avoid the slicing of the smoked sausage try using lil’ smokies. No need to slice them, simply dump them into the baking pan.
- BBQ Sauce : Use a spicy one for a kick or use a sweeter one if you prefer a sweeter taste. It’s important that you use a brand that you love the taste of, as that flavor will be prevalent in the final taste. I love the Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce.
- Make It Spicy! : To spice up the sausage bites try adding some red cayenne pepper, red pepper chili flakes, and/or hot sauce in with the other ingredients.
BBQ Sausage Bites
- 2 packages (14 oz each) smoked sausage
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prep : Slice the smoked sausage into 1-inch coin shapes.
- Add the sliced smoked sausage, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and dijon mustard into the baking dish. Stir together until combined.2 packages (14 oz each) smoked sausage, 1 cup barbecue sauce, 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly, darker in color, and thickened. * I like to stir everything together a couple times during the cook time just to ensure that all the sausages are coated well.
- Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer, as a side dish, or alongside Mac & cheese for a kid-friendly dinner idea. * If you want to keep them warm for a party or game, I still recommend baking them in the oven (gets the exterior nice and charred and yummy) and then removing them to a slow cooker on the WARM setting for 2-3 hours.