Muddy Buddy Cookies are a soft & thick peanut butter cookie with a chocolate center, and dusted in powdered sugar. Perfect dessert or even better for a Christmas cookie plate. These may look hard but they are really very simple!
MUDDY BUDDY COOKIES
Have you had muddy buddies before? Muddy Buddys is a classic snack mix made with Chex cereal that’s coated in peanut butter & chocolate and then tossed in some powdered sugar.
I remember making it as a little girl and I loved shaking the cereal in the powdered sugar.
These cookies have everything you love about classic muddy buddy snack mix but in cookie form!
Soft, thick peanut butter cookie with those pretty crinkly edges, a rich chocolate center and dusted in powdered sugar. They’re also pretty perfect for Christmas baking.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Do not use all-natural peanut butter. It will make these cookies, and any baked goods, really dry and crumbly. Use the real peanut butter with the oil and fat, and sugar! It’s much better for cookie recipes.
- I found a very inexpensive powdered sugar sifter on Amazon. You can also just use a spoon or your clean hand, and sprinkle it over tops the cookies. Or a fine mesh strainer will do the trick too.
- It may seem like an unnecessary thing, but be sure you roll the dough into balls before placing them on the cookie sheet. You want those round edges because you have to press down on the cooked dough balls to get that nice, crinkly edges.
TRY THESE OTHER MUDDY BUDDY RECIPES
Muddy Buddy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper or spraying with cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or use a handheld blender, blend together the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy and light in color. Add in egg and blend to combine.
In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir with a wire whisk. Add to the wet ingredients and blend just until combined.
Shape into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. You can fit 15 to each cookie sheet because they won't spread much at all.
Bake 8 minutes. Immediately after cooking, take a small cup and gently press down on the cookie. This will flatten them as well as give those pretty crinkly edges.
Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, Melt chocolate chips and canola oil in microwave-safe bowl for 2 minutes. Stirring every 30 seconds.
Immediately use a spoon and place a small amount of chocolate onto each cookie and spread around.
Let chocolate set and cool completely (about 2 hours) before dusting with powdered sugar. To speed up the chocolate cooling and hardening, place cookies in the fridge or the freezer.